Leederville War Memorial and Rose Garden


Town of Cambridge

Place Number



78-80 Cambridge St West Leederville

Location Details

Located east of the Leederville Town Hall

Local Government




Construction Date

Constructed from 1924

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents
Heritage List Adopted 27 Nov 2018

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management
Municipal Inventory Adopted 17 Dec 1996
Municipal Inventory Adopted 27 Nov 2018 Category 1

Parent Place or Precinct

02195 Leederville Town Hall & Recreation Complex

Statement of Significance

The following statement has been taken from the State Register Entry for Place 2195 prepared in 2003. Leederville Town Hall & Recreation Complex, a pair of single storey classically planned face brickwork, stucco walls and Colorbond custom orb roof buildings in the Federation Free Classical style, together with a rough hewn granite obelisk memorial with sculpted marble lions, memorial rose garden, bowling greens, and mature trees and setting, has cultural heritage significance for the following reasons: the place is a fine example of two successive buildings designed in the Federation Free Classical Style architecture; the bowling greens, established in 1906, are one of the oldest bowling greens in Western Australia still operating on their original site; the place was designed by A. E. Clarke, a prominent architect in Victoria and Western Australia, and built by well-known local builder, W. H. Roberts; the place has social value to the community of the immediate district of West Leederville, and the wider community, through its continuous use since 1904; the place is a civic landmark in the largely residential environment of West Leederville, and the palms flanking the monument are a distinctive element in the vicinity; the Leederville War Memorial was designed by Pietro Porcelli, the first local sculptor in Western Australia to be noted for public artwork; and, the place is representative of the development and rapid growth of Leederville in the pre-World War One period; and marks a phase in the establishment of municipal buildings in the suburb.

Physical Description

The War Memorial garden is located to the east of the town hall, creating a soft landscaped setting to the town hall buildings. The garden consists of the War Memorial constructed of rock faced granite, concrete plinth and carved stone lions; the rose garden; pergola and other plantings. The Memorial is set back from the road but can be clearly seen in its open setting.


The Leederville War Memorial was unveiled by the Governor, Sir Francis Newdegate on Sunday 25 May 1924. The memorial was an initiative of the people of Leederville in memory of those from the district who enlisted and died on active service. At the time of unveiling the memorial included 88 names. The construction of the memorial was funded by donations from the local citizens. The design and construction was undertaken by well known local sculptor, Pietro Giacomo Porcelli. In his speech at the unveiling ceremony, the Governor stated there were three reasons for its erection. 1. Affection for those who had fallen; 2. Respect an sympathy for those who had gone and returned and for the relatives of those who had not; and 3. A lasting object-lesson of the patriotism and duty of the people of Leederville. Plaques have subsequently been added to the memorial to honour those who served in later conflicts. Aerial photographs indicate that the grounds around the memorial were largely open grass with a few mature trees until the late 20th century. The perimeter planting and formal garden beds around a rotunda appear to have been established c1990 and maintained and developed since then. No date for the dedication of the rose gardens has been determined in this research. The Leederville Memorial is the venue for regular memorial services including the well attended ANZAC Day dawn service.


Integrity: High Authenticity: High


Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
Aerial Photographs Landgate 1953-2016
The West Australian, p. 6. Newspaper 1924
State Register Documentation for place 2195 Online Document 2003
PROWA Acc 3054, PCC File 1952/899;"Memorial Soldiers War Memorial erected in Cambridge Street". City of Perth Jan 1922-May 1928

Place Type

Historic site


Epoch General Specific
Original Use MONUMENT\CEMETERY Monument

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Other STONE Other Stone

Historic Themes

General Specific
OUTSIDE INFLUENCES World Wars & other wars

Creation Date

02 Feb 2005

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

24 Nov 2020


This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.