Temuka

Author

Shire of Mundaring

Place Number

08527

Location

Great Eastern Hwy Mundaring

Location Details

Other Name(s)

Eastern Hills Veterinary Clinic

Local Government

Mundaring

Region

Metropolitan

Construction Date

Constructed from 1911

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents
Heritage List YES 08 Mar 2016

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
RHP - Assessed-Below Threshold Current 13 Feb 2004

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management
Category
Municipal Inventory Adopted 22 Apr 1997 2 -Considerable significance

Statement of Significance

'Temuka' has very high aesthetic, historic and social significance for its townscape value, particularly in the surrounding context of several other large houses, and in its use of weatherboard on a substantial residence; for its associations with Luhrs and as an example of adaptive use during the life of the Mundaring township.

Physical Description

'Temuka' is a large weatherboard and brick (later addition) residence on Great Eastern Highway which together with several adjacent large brick and stone houses on both sides of the road make a strong visual statement in the eastern approaches to the Mundaring townsite. The substantial house, with large hipped corrugated iron roof and surrounding verandahs, is one of few examples in it's use of weatherboard which is more commonly used on smaller cottages.

History

In 1898, 29 year old Theo Luhrs, his first wife Emmelina and brother John came from the New Zealand Goldfields to the Mundaring Weir camp, where they established a boarding house and general store. In c. 1903, with the dispersal of the Mundaring Weir construction camp site, Luhrs took over John Frank's general store in Jacoby Street, Mundaring, where he stayed until 1911, when he sold it to James Wells. Also in 1911, 'Temuka', said to Maori for "welcome", was built for the Luhrs on the York Road (Great Eastern Hwy). It was a weatherboard and iron roofed house with four rooms and a central passage. In 1912, while travelling with Theo to germany, Emily died and in April 1914 Theo married 33 year old Victorian born, Mundaring School assistant teacher, Henrietta Fairfax. Their only child Theo was born in August 1916. Meanwhile,'Temuka' had been in the care of Theo's sister Henriette. In c. 1916, the Luhrs family moved back to 'Temuka' and soon afterwards a brick kitchen and dining room was added tot he north (back) of the house, which by then, had become a weekender or holiday guesthouse. In c. 1920, to accommodate extra guests from Temuka, Luhrs built 'Belair' on land to the west of their gravel-paved tennis court. During his time in Mundaring, Theo purchased many properties including a butcher's shop, two general stores and the Glen Osmond Orchard at Sawyers Valley. When Theo died in 1922, Hetty sold 'Glen Osmond' and despite her remarriage in November 1923, she continued to run 'Temuka' as a guest house and convalescent home. The depression of the early 1930's, forced her to sell 'Belair', rent out 'Temuka' and move with her husband to the country. In c. 1945, her son Theo Fairfax Luhrs and wife Dorothy (nee Biddle) returned to 'Temuka' with their three children. In the early 1950's, when Hetty's husband Charles Hughes was killed, she came back to 'Temuka', working in 1954 as relieving post mistress at the Weir Hotel Post Office Agency. In 1965, Hetty died, and a year later 'Temuka' was sold. The house was the first headquarters of the Mundaring and Hills Historical Society. At present, the house, with some alterations is used as the Eastern Hills Veterinary Clinic and residence.

Integrity/Authenticity

Integrity: High Modifications: Brick additions at rear 1916-1917; modifications for veterinary clinic in the 1980's

Condition

Good

References

Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
I Elliot; ibid;pp. 118, 123, 137; MHHS file 'Mundaring'; Giles, Robin, 'Temuka' paper" 1991
R Giles; "Temuka". 1991

State Heritage Office library entries

Library Id Title Medium Year Of Publication
7022 Images CD No. 26 : assessment images : Mundaring Hotel, Temuka, Faversham, Armadale Brickworks (fmr). C D Rom 2004

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Original Use COMMERCIAL Hotel, Tavern or Inn
Original Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence
Present Use HEALTH Other

Architectural Styles

Style
Other Style

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall BRICK Common Brick
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron
Wall TIMBER Weatherboard

Historic Themes

General Specific
DEMOGRAPHIC SETTLEMENT & MOBILITY Settlements
OCCUPATIONS Commercial & service industries

Creation Date

18 Jun 1997

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

10 Feb 2017

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.