Tarwonga Inn

Author

Shire of Williams

Place Number

03499

Location

15240 Albany Hwy Williams

Location Details

Local Government

Williams

Region

Wheatbelt

Construction Date

Constructed from 1876, Constructed from 1872

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management
Category
Municipal Inventory Adopted 30 Jun 2000 Category 1
RHP - To be assessed Current 30 Apr 2004

Statement of Significance

A fine example of a building from an earlier period. It was a notable social centre, mail depot and a traveller's stop in the era of coach transport on the Albany Road when Albany was the chief port of the Colony.

Physical Description

Located on the west of the Albany Highway, about 20 kms from Williams (Locn 49). It is a large stone building almost on the road verge. An underground cellar was located on the SE corner.

History

In the 1870's, John Barron built the Tarwonga Inn. The history of the Barron family had been closely connected with the early history of the Swan River Colony. His father, Edward Barron, was a Colour Sergeant in the 63rd Regiment, who came out in the 'Sulphur' to protect the first settlers aboard the Parmelia and prepare the settlement at the Swan River. Sgt. Barron, when in the company of Private Nesbit of the 21st Regiment, was attacked by aborigines at the Murray River in July 1834. Nesbit was killed and although Barron was speared twice, he managed to gallop away. Nesbit's death became the catalyst for the Battle of Pinjarra some months later. Barron was discharged from the army in March 1834 and opened the United Services Tavern in St. George's Terrace, where he was also made responsible for the handling of Government Stores. The Barron family subsequently ran an Inn in Ho wick Street named the 'Criterion'. The United Services Tavern closed in 1970 and the Criterion then became the oldest public house still in business in Perth. Three of Edward and Jane Barron's sons joined the Police Force - Edward, John and Charles. John Barron spent some time in charge of convicts building the Albany Road. In June 1860, while still in the Police Force, he made an application with his brother, Charles, of Perth, for a tillage lease at the Hotham Bridge in the Avon district. Subsequently they cancelled this application and the Barron's took up several early locations, Williams 33 & 49 at Wedgecarrup and the 113 mile respectively. While some of these leases and land were taken up by William, Charles and Edward Barron, the control was vested in John Barron, who settled with his family in the area about 1863. (1) William Fleay was the next owner, but ran the property purely as a fanning proposition in conjunction with 'Maybrook' located between Darkan and Arthur River. During 1904 Jack Kerrigan purchased 'Tarwonga' and with the arrival of many new settlers in the district obtained a Wayside House licence with the result that the Old Inn again became the centre for most sporting and social activities. Within a couple of years of his purchasing this holding in 1917 Dan Richards died, after which management passed to his son, Arthur. The inn license was allowed to lapse during the mid 1920's but the estate continued until its sale in the early 1960's. (2)

Integrity/Authenticity

Modifications: Iron roof and some extensions Extent of Original Fabric: All

Condition

Good

References

Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
Bird J; "West of Arthur". pp.61, 291-293
HG Cowin; "The Williams". p. 83

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Present Use SOCIAL\RECREATIONAL Other
Original Use SOCIAL\RECREATIONAL Other

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Roof TIMBER Shingle
Wall STONE Local Stone
Wall EARTH Cob {Pug}

Historic Themes

General Specific
SOCIAL & CIVIC ACTIVITIES Sport, recreation & entertainment
DEMOGRAPHIC SETTLEMENT & MOBILITY Settlements

Creation Date

30 Apr 2002

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

01 Jan 2017

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.