Gingin Railway Station and Quarters


Shire of Gingin

Place Number



Lot 500 Jones St Gingin

Location Details

Local Government



Avon Arc

Construction Date

Constructed from 1891

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents
State Register Registered 02 Sep 2011 HCWebsite.Listing+ListingDocument, HCWebsite.Listing+ListingDocument

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management
Municipal Inventory Adopted 17 Nov 1994 Category 1
Classified by the National Trust Classified 03 Jul 1978
Statewide Railway Heritage Surve Completed 01 Aug 1994
Register of the National Estate Permanent 28 Sep 1982

Statement of Significance

Once the railhead before linking with the railway from Geraldton in the 1880's. The place has been assessed by the National Trust of Australia (WA) and has been entered in the Register held by that body as a classified building with the following statement of significance: One of the first Railway Stations built by the Midland Railway Company for its new line from Midland Junction to Walkaway. Opened for passengers and goods on May 10,1891. The refreshment Rooms, goods shed, crane and portion of the platform have already been demolished, but the main station building is still intact and marks one of the most significant events in the district's history (Campbell). The place has also been assessed by the Australian Heritage Commission and has been entered in the Register of the National Estate.

Physical Description

Gingin Railway Station & Quarters, a brick and rendered building in the style of an English station with attached stationmaster’s quarters. It was built for the Midland Railway Company about 1891. The place is a good example of a Victorian era railway building in the Vernacular style. It has retained most of its original form and has been restored to its original condition.


The railway from Perth to Geraldton was completed as far as Gingin in April 1891. It was built by the 1891 Midland Railway Co. The new Railway Station was completed about April 1892 and described in the papers as a "model of modern convenience.' A large galvanized railway shed stood on the opposite side of the line. In the early 1900's the steam trains crossed and stopped at Gingin as they travelled between Perth and Moora. This time of the day became a regular social event for the town. The Jones family of the Granville always ran the Refreshment Rooms on the Station. There were two big water tanks at either end of the Station so that both trains could be replenished with water simultaneously. The brick and iron Station includes living quarters as well as Rest Rooms etc. A kitchen extension was made about 1930. Plans are available to researchers. Passenger trains ceased about 1976 and the buildings were unused until Westrail leased it to R.V. & P. Diggins for 21 years. Mr. Diggins has renovated the Station and it is in very good condition.


Very Good

State Heritage Office library entries

Library Id Title Medium Year Of Publication
523 Restoration of the iron roof of the Gingin railway station Heritage Study {Other} 1994

Place Type

Individual Building or Group


Epoch General Specific
Original Use Transport\Communications Rail: Railway Station
Present Use VACANT\UNUSED Vacant\Unused

Architectural Styles

Victorian Georgian

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron
Wall BRICK Face Brick

Historic Themes

General Specific
OUTSIDE INFLUENCES Water, power, major t'port routes
TRANSPORT & COMMUNICATIONS Rail & light rail transport

Creation Date

30 May 1989

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

01 Jan 2017


This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.