City of Fremantle

Place Number



102 Attfield St South Fremantle

Location Details

Local Government




Construction Date

Constructed from 1910

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents
Heritage List YES 08 Mar 2007

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management
Municipal Inventory Adopted 18 Sep 2000 Level 3

Statement of Significance

House, 102 Attfield Street, is a brick and iron single storey house dating from c 1910. The place has aesthetic value for its contribution to the streetscape and the surrounding area. It is representative of the typical workers' houses in the Fremantle area. The place is an example of the Federation Bungalow style of architecture.

Physical Description

102 Attfield Street is a single storey, brick and iron house with an asymmetrical facade built circa 1910 designed as an example of the Federation Bungalow style of architecture. The front wall is limestone with brick quoining, side walls are face brick. The roof is hipped and gabled and clad with corrugated iron. The front elevation is obscured by a lattice infill across the front verandah. The verandah has a separate bullnose corrugated iron roof and is supported by timber posts. The house is elevated from the street and there is a brick and hedge fence to the front boundary line.


Attfield St is named after Dr George Attfield, Imperial Surgeon 1854-1879, who qualified in London in 1850. He attended Fremantle Gaol and was Superintendent at Fremantle Lunatic Asylum. Attfield married a daughter of Surveyor-General Roe. He died in Brighton UK c1923. The street was developed from the late 1890s, with the majority of the houses dating from the first two decades of the twentieth century. House, 102 Attfield Street was built c .1910. In 1912, it was listed as a cottage owned by William McKay and occupied by Frederick Pendleton. By 1922, when a cottage and shed were listed as being on the property, it was owned and occupied by Frances and Leslie Snowden. The property changed hands a couple of times between 1932 and 1952, at which time it was owned and occupied by Wray Hamilton. In 1974, Winifred Hamilton was listed as the owner. Between 1974 and 1983, the property again changed hands several times. In 1983, Joan Campbell was listed as the owner and occupant. This place was included in the list of heritage places in the City of Fremantle identified by the Fremantle Society (1979/80) - RED -significant for contributing to the unique character of Fremantle.


High degree of integrity (original intent clear, current use compatible, high long term sustainability). High degree of authenticity with much original fabric remaining. (These statements based on street survey only).


Condition assessed as good (assessed from streetscape survey only).

Place Type

Individual Building or Group


Epoch General Specific
Present Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence
Other Use OTHER Other
Original Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence

Architectural Styles

Federation Bungalow

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall BRICK Face Brick
Wall STONE Limestone
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron

Historic Themes

General Specific
DEMOGRAPHIC SETTLEMENT & MOBILITY Land allocation & subdivision

Creation Date

20 Jul 2011

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

21 Feb 2020


This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.