York Greenmount Convict Road Station ruins and Bilgomen Well


Shire of Mundaring

Place Number



Cnr Darlington Rd & Great Eastern Hwy Greenmount

Location Details

Other Name(s)

Bilgoman Well
Convict Site

Local Government




Construction Date

Constructed from 1861, Constructed from 1846

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents
Heritage List YES 08 Mar 2016

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
RHP - To be assessed Current 31 Aug 2018

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management
Municipal Inventory Adopted 01 Feb 2016 2 -Considerable significance

Statement of Significance

• the place has aesthetic value for the grouping of historic elements within a bushland setting. • the place has historic value for its association with the exploration and development of the region in the 1840s and 1850s. • the place has some potential to provide archaeological evidence of former occupation from the mid 19th century. • the place has scientific value for its potential to reveal evidence of past methods of construction as demonstration in the well construction and the remnants of the convict depot.

Physical Description

Despite clearing and some conservation work during 1988 for the State's Sesquicentennial, Bilgoman Well has become over grown again and has all but disappeared. Only the Heritage Trail Plaque identifies the site amongst the undergrowth and swampy ground making investigation of the site a little hazardous. Timber bench seats located nearby, and the path to the well are also being consumed by the bush. The well is a roughly circular stone construction at ground level. Within the well are steel poles bracing the sides of the well. Over the top of the well is a circular stainless steel mesh cover which is held in place by circular stainless steel tubes which have been driven into the ground. Several timber post fence structures have been placed around the well. Timber bench seats are located near well and a plaque is fixed to a concrete block near the well. The convict ruins comprise the remnants if the base of some stone walls and hearths that roughly outline several small buildings. The ruins are on a site that has been levelled and which roughly cuts into the slope of the surrounding bush land. The ability to easily identify the site is slowly diminishing particularly as there is very little remaining. Some archaeological work and interpretation of the site may better define its significance. A nearby heritage Trail Plaque on a pedestal above the ruins has been vandalised and only the pedestal remains.


In March 1846 "Bilgomen", the aboriginal name of a watering place, on Greenmount Hill was recorded in Phillip La Mothe Snell Chauncy's field book, when he, on behalf of the State Government, surveyed the York Road, now Great Eastern Highway. Near traces of a small encampment, he dug a 14 foot (4.2m) well, which in his field book is shown as near tea tree thickets, in a dense "mahogany" forest and close to the 43 mile mark (ie. 43 mile form York). For the purposes of maintaining the York Road, a convict depot was built in the vicinity of Bilgomen Well in the 1850's. In 1856, Royal Engineer and Superintendent of works Lieutentant Du Cane described the depot as being 2 miles east of a larger one at Greenmount (ie near Stirling Street), and with 25 men living in substantial "vee" huts. These were slab huts for the overseer and stores. In 1881, Government Surveyor CD Price, mentions the "Old depot and a clearing at the old depot". From 1882 until 1899, the area was a watering reserve. After 1899, it was a public park reserve from which 1915, was the responsibility of the Greenmount Road Board. According to MHHS records, there were ruins of mud huts, with 5ft walls, in existence in c. 1929 and these, and the well, were a popular picnic site up to the 1940's. In more recent times, although its existence was well known, vegetation and vandalism had overcome the site. After extensive searches, local residents, Peter Fischer, Ron Mitchell and Chris Durrant re-discovered the well and ruins in the early 1980's. Its authenticity was confirmed by Shire historian, Ian Elliot. After extensive work, the site was officially opened on 26th January 1988, as part of the Australia wide Bicentennial celebrations.






Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
I Elliot; ibid. pp 25-26, 192
HCWA Heritage Trail brochure
Betty Wylie, Oral Interview 1995
MHHS Files "Old York Road",
MHHS Files "Greenmount",

Other Reference Numbers

Ref Number Description
83 MI Number

State Heritage Office library entries

Library Id Title Medium Year Of Publication
6426 A preliminary study of convict sites in Western Australia (draft). Heritage Study {Other} 1997

Place Type

Historic site


Epoch General Specific
Present Use OTHER Other
Original Use OTHER Other
Original Use GOVERNMENTAL Gaol

Architectural Styles


Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall STONE Other Stone

Historic Themes

General Specific

Creation Date

18 Jun 1997

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

11 Sep 2018


This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.