Claremont Cottage

Author

Shire of Chittering

Place Number

14070

Location

Gray Rd Bindoon

Location Details

Other Name(s)

Bindoon Pony Club
Clune's

Local Government

Chittering

Region

Avon Arc

Construction Date

Constructed from 1860, Constructed from 1984

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management
Category
Municipal Inventory Adopted 19 Aug 1999 Category 2

Statement of Significance

The place is the oldest remaining building in Bindoon and a fine example of a c1860's stone dwelling. It has significant association with generations of the Clune family.

Physical Description

Original three room stone cottage with cellar. Now located on 5 acres in proximity to stoned well, stable block and old Peppermint tree.

History

In 1867, Irish brothers Matthew and Jeremiah Clune purchased properties in the Victoria Plains area. It seems this place was built before legal purchase was effected (in 1861). In 1860, stonemason John Sullivan took court action against Matthew Clune for non payment of work. The Clune brothers leased extensive pastoral properties in the Victoria Plains. After Matthew died in 1897, lengthy legal action took place, and by the time Jeremiah died in 1916, their estate was diminished. In 1902, Thomas Joseph Clune, (TJ) second son of Mathew, inherited 'Claremont'. In 1949, T. J. Clune's son Gus inherited the property. The phone exchange transferred from Bindoon General Store to 'Claremont' and was run by Ellie Phillips (nee Clune- daughter of Thomas). Some time after that, Bill Robinson, a Perth solicitor, purchased the property. In the 1960s the place became vacant and fell into disrepair. In 1984, property developer Kenneth Eather bought the property and developed it as part of the Chittering Country Club sub division. The place was extensively renovated and opened by MLA Des Dans in 1985. It was then the home of Bindoon Arts and Crafts and a stable agistment facility for Chittering Country Club members until the demise of the Chittering Country Club Association. The trustees were keen to see the place develop as a working museum. The place was subsequently purchased and tearooms and an art gallery were established.

Integrity/Authenticity

Integrity: Intact or Redeemable Authenticity: Medium Degree

Condition

Good

References

Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
"Newspaper Article" Chittering Times 1997
Walsh R & Martin B; "Unpublisheed research".

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Present Use EDUCATIONAL Other
Original Use FARMING\PASTORAL Homestead
Present Use COMMERCIAL Other
Original Use FARMING\PASTORAL Blacksmith's Shop

Historic Themes

General Specific
DEMOGRAPHIC SETTLEMENT & MOBILITY Settlements
TRANSPORT & COMMUNICATIONS Telecommunications

Creation Date

20 Sep 1999

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

01 Jan 2017

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.