Randwick Stables

Author

City of Cockburn

Place Number

09242

Location

24 Rockingham Rd Hamilton Hill

Location Details

Cnr Hardey St Includes: dwelling, stables, laundry & well plus landscape and mixed trees

Local Government

Cockburn

Region

Metropolitan

Construction Date

Constructed from 1923

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents
Heritage List Adopted 14 Jul 2011
State Register Permanent 14 May 2002 HCWebsite.Listing+ListingDocument, HCWebsite.Listing+ListingDocument

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management
Category
Classified by the National Trust Classified 10 Sep 2001
Municipal Inventory Adopted 20 Apr 2004 Category A

Statement of Significance

Randwick Stables has strong streetscape value and landmark qualities. The built elements have rustic charm and the interior of the house is of particular aesthetic interest. The cottage and stables represents the large number of registered stables that operated in the Cockburn region in the first half of the 20th century when the area played an integral role in the development of the state’s horse racing industry. The place is a fine and rare remaining example of small stables in an urban environment. Randwick Stables is associated with local South Fremantle racing identities and trainers Frederic ‘Jack’ Marks, Sol Marks and Jimmy Banks.

Physical Description

Randwick Stables comprises a series of paddocks, a timber framed cottage, stables, laundry, water closet. Two palms flank the front entrance, and the house is timber framed, clad with weatherboards. The main roof is hipped, corrugated iron, with a rear lean-to with a skillion roof. Verandahs enclose three sides of the house. The verandah has a bull nosed roof and is supported by stop chamfered posts. The whole verandah is infilled with lattice. The stables located at the rear of the property are based on an L-shaped plan.

History

Randwick Stables comprises a series of paddocks, a timber framed bungalow, stables, laundry stone well, water closet and metal clad stables constructed for Frederick Charles John ‘Jack’ Marks, a member of the prominent horse racing Marks family. At the turn of the century South Fremantle and the northern parts of Cockburn like Hamilton Hill became the location of semi rural industries such as market gardening and horse racing stables. In the early 1900s Lot 4 of Cockburn Sound Location 5 was subdivided and lots 23,24 and 27 were transferred to ‘Jack’ Marks in 1924. Horse racing played an integral role in the development of South Fremantle and Hamilton Hill with the first horse races in the Swan River Colony held at South Beach on 3 October 1833. Horse stables were a characteristic feature in residential areas located near South Beach. At the height of the horse racing industry it is believed 400 horses were stabled in the area and trained at South Beach. Thus trainers and jockeys such as the Marks family became well known identities. Jack and Amy Marks went to live in Kalgoorlie in 1917. Jack was joining his three brothers Bill, Sol and Percy who were already involved in horse racing on the Eastern Goldfields of WA. Jack and Amy lived in Kalgoorlie until they moved to South Fremantle with their three children. Family history has it that as Jack was unable to sell his house at Cheetham Street, Kalgoorlie, he dismantled the timber house and transported it by train to his newly purchased property in Rockingham Road. After the four roomed cottage was reconstructed a verandah was added on three sides of the building. A wash house was erected and a well dug to the north-west of the main house. Like his brothers Jack began to work in South Fremantle as a horse trainer. To this end an L-shaped stable was constructed to the rear of the main house. Of limestone random rubble construction, the stable comprised six horse stalls and a jockey and tack room, which was tin lined with wooden floor boards. On 1 April 1926 Jack Marks died and ownership of the property was transferred to his wife Amy and then subsequently to his brother Sol Marks. Sol did not appear to take up residence at the property but continued to operate the stable. In 1927-28 the property and business was registered as Randwick Stables. Randwick Stables was sold to John Egan of West Perth who was registered as its owner on 15 April 1930. From then until 1939 the Collett family occupied the property. Joseph Collett was a trainer associated with the trotting industry. Egan moved into the house at Randwick Stables in 1939 but did not train horses full time. He kept a couple of horses and rented out stalls to trainers in the area. In 1950-51 Mrs Florance Mary Banks is recorded as the owner of Randwick Stables. Her husband Jimmy Banks trained Beau Vasse from the stables and this horse won the 1950 Perth Cup. It is believed the winnings of the Perth Cup were used to purchase the stables, although Mary Banks is not officially registered as the owner of the property until 1960. Mrs Banks in her history of Randwick Stables recalled that ‘some good horses were stabled there’. James Ronald Banks and Merilyn Banks were registered as the owners of Lot 25 a portion of the Randwick Stables property in 1964. According to Main Roads WA the transfer was a wedding gift for James Banks. Further land was transferred in 1969 leaving the Randwick Stables property comprising of Lots 23,24,26 and 27 this continues to be the case in 2002. Physical evidence shows that renovation work was carried out to the main house c. 1950-60s. In 1999 the banks sold Randwick stables to the Main Roads WA. The purchase of the property by Main Roads was part of a scheme for a road highway network.

Integrity/Authenticity

INTEGRITY: High AUTHENTICITY: High

Condition

Fair to good

References

Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
HCWA assessment documentation for Randwick Stables State Heritage Office

State Heritage Office library entries

Library Id Title Medium Year Of Publication
10036 The changing Cockburn Coast. Appendices - European Heritage Electronic 2008
5590 Randwick Stables, Hamilton Hill : conservation plan. Heritage Study {Cons'n Plan} 2002

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Original Use FARMING\PASTORAL Stable
Present Use FARMING\PASTORAL Stable

Architectural Styles

Style
Federation Bungalow

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall METAL Other Metal
Wall TIMBER Weatherboard
Wall ASBESTOS Fibrous Cement, flat
Wall STONE Limestone
Wall ASBESTOS Other Asbestos

Historic Themes

General Specific
SOCIAL & CIVIC ACTIVITIES Sport, recreation & entertainment
DEMOGRAPHIC SETTLEMENT & MOBILITY Land allocation & subdivision

Creation Date

11 Dec 2000

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

29 Nov 2017

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.