Jimba Jimba Station


Shire of Upper Gascoyne

Place Number



Carnarvon-Mullewa Rd Gascoyne

Location Details

Local Government

Upper Gascoyne



Construction Date

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management
Municipal Inventory Adopted 29 Oct 1999 Category 1
Municipal Inventory Adopted 29 Oct 1999 Category 1
RHP - To be assessed Current 31 Oct 2003

Physical Description

Located at the Junction of the Gascoyne and Lyons Rivers. Immediately to the west of Gascoyne Junction, Jimba Jimba Station consists of a stone homestead, kitchen-dining building, store, office, meathouse, cottage and mens' quarters. Only the foundations remain of the original homestead and its outbuildings located to the south-east of the present homestead. The homestead is a large building of local stone construction with a hipped corrugated iron roof with gablets. The roof extends broken back to cover surrounding verandahs. While the original timber verandah posts have been replaced with metal poles and the verandahs have been concreted, most of the original oregon verandah rafters remain. The south-east corner of the verandah has been enclosed to form a sleepout. Feature gables enhance the entrances to the north and south elevations, while the main entrance is on the east facade. Generally windows are timber framed and double hung, however there are some replacement aluminium framed windows as well. There are concrete lintels over window and door openings with some timber lintels to the south facade. Internally, the house features pressed metal ceilings. The grounds of the homestead contains a swimming pool and tennis court, while the Gascoyne River is located to the north. Adjacent to the homestead is the office which is of rendered stone construction with a hipped corrugated iron roof. Nearby stands the Meathouse which is a timber framed structure with corrugated iron tothe lower wall and mesh to the upper wall. The dutch gable corrugated iron roof extends to form a surrounding verandah to provide shade for the structure. To the south of the homestead is a rendered stone building which contains the kitchen, mens' dining room, cook's room and store room. The kitchen features original Metters and aga stoves while the dining room is now used as the school room. Further to the south is the mud brick store, which originally contained 2 rooms but has been converted into one large room. This believed to be the oldest remaining structure in the station complex. Adjoining the store is a garage. To the west is a concrete block cottage and mens' quarters. To the south-west of the homestead is a lonely grave which is marked by a stone. While a further two graves are located near the Mooka Station boundary.


Jimba Jimba Station was first taken up in 1878 by G. Hamersley and S. Simms and consisted of 100,000 acres. Over time adjoining leases were taken up and seen the station size had increased to 400,000 acres. The name of the station derives from an aboriginal language and means 'very small'. In 13S5 the station lease was taken ever by Samuel James Philiips in partnership with his brother John Hugh Phillips, Phil Ryan was the manager of the property until 1907 wnen Douglas Hugh Phillips took over. The station passed onto brothers Jonn anc Douglas Phillips following the death of their father, John and uncle, Samuel Phiiiips. in 1921. Guy Viveash (nephew of John Phillips.) bought into the property, eventually taking over the management. Guy Viveash and his wife Jean set about improving the station stock and the homestead. which was extended from a simple mud cottage into a gracious home. By 1934 Jimba Jimba -was carrying 20,000 sheep, however the onset of the 1935-42 drought, combined with some health worries, resulted in Guy and Jean Viveash departing for Northam. leaving the property under the management of Edgar and Loma Bostock. Almost half the sheep were lost to the drought. Following the death of Guy Viveash in 1947. Edgar Bostock continued to manage Jimba Jimba until Guy's sons. Robert and Don. were old enough to assume responsibility for the station. Subsequently the property, which was restocked, prospered, in 1962 the Viveash brothers bought Landor Station where Don and his wife Gwen lived until Don's untimely death. Following Robert's tragic death in a flying accident. Jimba Jimba Staiion was sold in 1977 to Martin and Virginia Baston who continue to run the property today. (McDonald. R., 'Winning the Gascoyne', Hesperian Press, Perth, 1991, pp.38-42 & Battye, J.S. (ed). The History of the North West of Australia', V.K. Jones & Co, Perth, 1915, c.271)


Integrity: High




Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
McDonald, R; "Winning the Gascoyne". p. 38-42 Hesperian Press, Carlisle, WA. 1991
JS Battye; "The History of the North West of Australia". p.271 VK Jones, Perth 1915

State Heritage Office library entries

Library Id Title Medium Year Of Publication
5921 Off-shears : the story of shearing sheds in Western Australia. Book 2002
4134 Winning the Gascoyne. Book 1991

Place Type

Individual Building or Group


Epoch General Specific
Present Use FARMING\PASTORAL Homestead
Original Use FARMING\PASTORAL Homestead

Architectural Styles


Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron
Wall STONE Local Stone

Historic Themes

General Specific
PEOPLE Early settlers
DEMOGRAPHIC SETTLEMENT & MOBILITY Land allocation & subdivision
OCCUPATIONS Grazing, pastoralism & dairying

Creation Date

29 Feb 2000

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

01 Jan 2017


This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.