Fermoy House (fmr), Northam

Author

Shire of Northam

Place Number

01874

Location

1 Lance St Northam

Location Details

Bounded by Fermoy, Lance & Uralia Sts

Other Name(s)

St Joseph's Marist Brothers School
Throssell Homestead

Local Government

Northam

Region

Avon Arc

Construction Date

Constructed from 1897

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents
State Register Permanent 21 Nov 2014 HCWebsite.Listing+ListingDocument, HCWebsite.Listing+ListingDocument

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management
Category
Municipal Inventory Adopted 25 Feb 1998 2. Considerable significance

Statement of Significance

This building has aesthetic and architectural significance, as an example of a grand Federation residence, of a style and scale fitting to that of the prominent original owner, George Throssell. It has historical significance, being associated with Throssell and his position in Northam, and later as Premier of Western Australia. It has social significance, owing to its use for community social activities, and later as a hospital and a school.

Physical Description

Set on high ground with a grand entry stairway, the single storey building has an extensive basement that is at ground level for two sides of the building. The plan form of this former residence has projecting window bays characteristic of the period. A feature of the building frontage is the gable end, which incorporates timber nogging to frame infill panels.

History

Fermoy House, was originally the home of George Throssell, Northam's first mayor who later became Premier of Western Australia. He was a prominent businessman, who became influential in the Temperance movement in the 1870s. Fermoy House was often the venue for large receptions, balls, garden parties, charity functions and a variety of community celebrations. Throssell died in 1910 after he fell down a staircase at the house. In 1912 the land around Fermoy was subdivided and a new housing estate was opened up on 'the hill'. Fermoy then became a private hospital for many years. Part of the hospital was taken over for use by the military in the 1940s. The Marist Brothers took over Fermoy in 1948 for use as a school, which became known as the Marist Brothers College, St Paul's. The migrant intake into the district from Eastern Europe after WWII led to increased numbers at the school. In 1971 St Paul's amalgamated with St Joseph's Girls School

Integrity/Authenticity

Integrity: Moderate degree Authenticity: Moderate degree

Condition

Good

Associations

Name Type Year From Year To
George Throssell Architect 1897 -

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Present Use EDUCATIONAL Combined School
Original Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence
Other Use HEALTH Hospital

Architectural Styles

Style
Federation Queen Anne

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron
Wall BRICK Common Brick

Historic Themes

General Specific
PEOPLE Famous & infamous people

Creation Date

30 May 1989

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

01 Jan 2017

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.