South Fremantle Post Office (fmr)


z Fremantle ARCHIVED 201216

Place Number



174 Hampton Rd South Fremantle

Location Details

Other Name(s)

Martha Hampton Clinic

Local Government




Construction Date

Constructed from 1896

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents
Heritage List YES 08 Mar 2007
State Register Registered 13 May 2005 HCWebsite.Listing+ListingDocument, HCWebsite.Listing+ListingDocument

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management
Municipal Inventory Adopted 18 Sep 2000 Level 1A
Classified by the National Trust Classified 06 May 1985
Restrictive Covenant YES
Register of the National Estate Permanent 25 Mar 1986

Statement of Significance

Aesthetic significance as a fine example of a former Post Office in the Federation Arts and Crafts style dating from the late nineteenth century. Historic significance as an example of the Public Works Department under the direction of Chief Architect George Temple Poole.

Physical Description

Two storey rendered building in the Federation Arts and Crafts style. Features timber framing to the first floor and a prominent terracotta tile (not original) steeply pitched gabled roof. The roof has five rendered chimneys with corbelling and a half timbered gable which projects and is supported by timber brackets. There are multi-mullions to the top half of the timber double hung sash windows and large arched window. Corner rendered steps rise from the pavement to the front entrance.


Hampton Road was originally called Prison Road. It derives its name from John Stephen Hampton (1810-1869), the Governor of WA from 1862-68. He was previously Comptroller of Convicts in Tasmania. His son, G. E. Hampton, was Acting Comptroller-General of the Fremantle Convict Establishment. Formerly a government building, the Beaconsfield Post Office, designed in the Dept. of Public Works when George Temple Poole was Chief Architect, was reminiscent of a two storey English country cottage. The roof was originally shingled. The Post Office had quarters for the post master and his family. From 1904 the building was called the South Fremantle Post Office. It was sold to private owners in 1985 and is now a health clinic. This place was included on the list of heritage places in the City of Fremantle identified by the Fremantle Society in 1979/80. It was also included in the "Heritage Study South Fremantle", prepared by John Taylor Architects, for the City of Fremantle, June 1993




Name Type Year From Year To
George Temple Poole Architect 1896 -

Place Type

Individual Building or Group


Epoch General Specific
Present Use RESIDENTIAL Two storey residence
Original Use Transport\Communications Comms: Post or Telegraph Office

Architectural Styles

Federation Arts and Crafts

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall STONE Limestone
Wall RENDER Smooth
Roof TILE Terracotta Tile

Historic Themes

General Specific

Creation Date

30 May 1989

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

21 Mar 2019


This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.