Kearnan College


Shire of Manjimup

Place Number



Leman St Manjimup

Location Details

Google Maps has address as 25 Moore Street BDD

Other Name(s)

Kearnan High School
St Joseph's Convent

Local Government



South West

Construction Date

Constructed from 1925

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
RHP - Does not warrant assessment Current 27 Sep 2019

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management
Municipal Inventory Removed from MI 28 Aug 2008 Category C

Statement of Significance

Historic and Social

Physical Description

Kearnan High School has been expanded and modified almost from his opening days in 1925. Building programmes have seen constant changes of use and facilities in the school. · Two storey building; · Brick walls; · Corrugated iron hipped roof (replaced); · Porch shading front entry, and; · A mixture of aluminium and wooden framed windows.


When the Manjimup-Pemberton Parish in 1922 was created Father Francis Kearnan was appointed parish priest. He was responsible for the purchase of six blocks of bush land for the establishment of a church school. Early in 1925 Mr Dennehy, a Perth architect, was asked to prepare plans for a two storey brick boarding school – with four classrooms on the bottom floor with separate dormitories above for boys and girls. Wide balconies and verandas were included with an eye to future expansion. For a start limited tenders were called for two of the classrooms and the dormitories with another small room as a presbytery. The successful tender was submitted by George Ausden a builder from Bridgetown with a cost of 1,650 pounds. Delays in construction were created by building material shortages but the school was completed and blessed by Archbishop Clune towards the end of 1925. The original church building that had been used for services but never appeared to have been consecrated was purchased by George Ausden when he could not find accommodation for his family whilst in Manjimup. This left the Catholic Community without a church, a problem solved by celebrating Mass in one of the larger classrooms at the school. This solution sufficed until the congregation outgrew the classrooms. An alternative was to enclose the verandas and move the boarders to the new enclosures and set up their old sleeping quarters for church services. The Catholic community persisted with this situation until St Joseph’s Church was built in 1955. In 1961 renovations and extensions of the school were carried out - including new classrooms, roofs being tiled, balconies removed and the hall refurbished. Under parish priest Father Stephen Kelly after his appointment in 1970, the school was upgraded to become a five year high school (at this time the school was renamed Kearnan High School). This became WA’s first coeducational Catholic School.


Integrity: High Authenticity: Moderate




Name Type Year From Year To
Mr Dennehy, Architect 1925 -


Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
Evans D; "Historical Notes". Heritage Today 2004

Place Type

Individual Building or Group


Epoch General Specific
Other Use RELIGIOUS Church, Cathedral or Chapel
Original Use EDUCATIONAL Housing or Quarters
Present Use EDUCATIONAL Secondary School

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall ASBESTOS Fibrous Cement, corrugated

Historic Themes

General Specific

Creation Date

31 Mar 2010

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

01 Jan 2017


This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.