Greenmount Road Board office (fmr)


Shire of Mundaring

Place Number



Cnr McVicar Pl & Evans St Mt Helena

Location Details

Other Name(s)

Buckland's Residence
Raitt's General Store (fmr)

Local Government




Construction Date

Constructed from 1906

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management
Municipal Inventory Adopted 22 Apr 1997 3 - Moderate significance

Statement of Significance

The former Roads Board Office has low aesthetic significance because of the substantial additions and modifications that have occurred tot he building. It has moderate-high social and historic significance for it's origins of the Shire of Mundaring and as an example of the varied adaptive uses of buildings.

Physical Description

The original single room, brick Roads Board Office is still apparent at the corner of the site. although the substantial verandah and weatherboard additions to form a general store and residence overwhelm the structure. The foundation stone on the front elevation was recovered from an old shed on the property by the Buckland family and handed over tot eh Shire. Some time before 1959, internal partitioning of the original office was removed to form a large living space for the residence. A new fireplace has been built backing onto the one constructed with the kitchen fo the residence. The former fireplace across one corner has been sealed off. The ceiling if the original Road Board Office has been lowered by 45-60mm. The main house front door appears to be the original one, and the bedroom door with the letterbox opening, is the former shop front door. The various weatherboard additions are identifiable by their placing and induvidually pitched roofs connected with box gutters. They are not very sophisticated and only partially lines inside. Much of the original weatherboard shop additions have been replaced with hardiflex.


In 1903, the Greenmount Road Board (forerunner of the Mundaring Road Board and the Shire of Mundaring). was created from within the boundary of the Darling Range Road Board. It's first members included prominent citizens WH McGlew (Chairman), Ben Pittersen, Joseph Hesketh, Thomas Wilkins, James Dowie, Andrew Janecek, Charles Cook and Thomas Ibery. On 4th June 1903, it held it's first meeting st hesketh hall in Bellevue, with subsequent venues including private residences and the octagonal hall at Smith's Mill. Land for a permanent office was set aside at Smith's Mill, but by a ratepayers vote of 75 to 69, Lion Mill, later Mt Helena was selected. At that time Lion Mill was benefiting from both the reopening of the timber industry by Bunnings Brothers and it's location as a junction of the original 1884 Eastern Railway and the 1896 "Mahogany Creek Deviation" via the Swan View Tunnel and Parkerville. In September 1906, approval was given for a meeting room 24 ft x 18 ft (7.3m x5.4m), with provision for a lean -to for tools to be constructed later. After the land had been cleared by local farmer E Bartholemew, the building said to be the first brick structure in Lion Mill, was completed by community effort. On 30th November, the foundation stone, complete with coins and a copy of the Swan Express, was laid by the State Minister for Works. A verandah and notice board were added to the front on time for the first meeting on 8th January 1907. Until June 1925, meetings were held at Lion Mill, renamed Mt Helena in 1924. The move to the more centrally located Mundaring Townsite came against local wishes, but was hastened by the decline of the Bunnings Brother's Mt Helena timber mill and the diminishing use of rail transport. To finance the new Greenmount Road Board office at the corner of York Road (now Great eastern Highway) and mann Street Mundaring, the Mt Helena building was sold to storekeeper John Raitt. In July 1925, he obtained permission to build a butcher's shop and general store on the west, and a residence at the rear. Subsequent owners have carried out extensive alterations to the building. The original foundation stone was recovered and returned to the shire by the late Ernie Buckland, former Mundaring Shire Councillor, 1969-1972 and 1974-1982.


Integrity: Moderate- various alterations and additions have dominated original elements. Modifications: Verandahs added, weatherboard residence and store added to original single room brick GRB Office, and internal partitioning removed, new fireplace added and original fireplace across corner sealed




Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
M Williams; "Letter" Shire of Mundaring 8/12/1994
Swan Express. 1/9/1906
I Elliot; ibid pp.281-289, 281.
Swan Express. 19/5/1906
Swan Express. 8/12/1906
L Spark; "Letter". Shire of Mundaring 11/6/1996
Swan Express. 10/7/1925

Place Type

Individual Building or Group


Epoch General Specific
Original Use Transport\Communications Road: Office or Administration Bldg
Present Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence
Other Use COMMERCIAL Shop\Retail Store {single}

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron
Wall BRICK Painted Brick

Historic Themes

General Specific

Creation Date

18 Jun 1997

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

01 Jan 2017


This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.