HOUSE, 13 LOUISA STREET

Author

City of Fremantle

Place Number

22994

Location

13 Louisa St South Fremantle

Location Details

Local Government

Fremantle

Region

Metropolitan

Construction Date

Constructed from 1915

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents
Heritage List YES 08 Mar 2007

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management
Category
Municipal Inventory Adopted 18 Sep 2000 Level 3

Statement of Significance

House, 13 Louisa Street, is a typical rendered masonry and tile single storey house dating from c1915. The place has aesthetic value for its contribution to the streetscape and the surrounding area. It is representative of the typical workers' houses in the Fremantle area. The place is an example of the Federation Bungalow style of architecture.

Physical Description

13 Louisa Street is a single storey, rendered masonry and tile house built c1915 with an asymmetrical facade designed as an example of the Federation Bungalow style of architecture. The walls are rendered masonry. The roof is hipped and clad with terracotta tiles. The façade is asymmetrical with a protruding front room, central front door and double casement windows. The verandah has a separate flat concrete roof supported by pairs of round steel posts. There is low level brick wall to the front boundary line.

History

The area was owned by Captain William Owston, and then his stepson, Frederick Jones. Jones served with the Fremantle Council for many years. On the subdivision of the property in 1891, family names were given to the streets. Louisa was the daughter of Frederick and Emma Jones. Louisa Street was one of the first in this area of South Fremantle to be developed. In 1894, the land was a vacant lot owned by John Nicholls. It was soon sold to William Johnson. In 1896, Johnson had a two roomed cottage built on the lot. He lived in the cottage until c. 1909, when it was occupied by Isaac Lierre. Emily Rose Johnson was listed as the owned in 1912/13 and Don Lever as the occupant. A sewerage diagram dated c. 1915 shows House, 13 Louisa Street as vacant land. There were a number of small weatherboard and galvanised iron structures to the rear of the lot. Emily continued to own the property until the mid 1930s, though did not live in the cottage herself until c. 1937. The house was probably built c. 1915. In 1940/41, William Capes was listed as the owner and Cyril Dixon as the occupant.

Integrity/Authenticity

Medium degree of integrity (original intent mostly clear, current use compatible, high long term sustainability). Medium degree of authenticity with some original fabric remaining. (These statements based on street survey only).

Condition

Condition assessed as good (assessed from streetscape survey only).

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Original Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence
Present Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence

Architectural Styles

Style
Federation Bungalow

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Roof TILE Terracotta Tile
Wall RENDER Smooth

Historic Themes

General Specific
DEMOGRAPHIC SETTLEMENT & MOBILITY Land allocation & subdivision

Creation Date

08 Jan 2007

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

06 Mar 2020

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.