Uralia

Author

Shire of Northam

Place Number

01876

Location

59 Gordon St Northam

Location Details

Other Name(s)

Rosalyn
St John of God Hospital

Local Government

Northam

Region

Avon Arc

Construction Date

Constructed from 1902

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents
State Register Permanent 08 Oct 1996 HCWebsite.Listing+ListingDocument, HCWebsite.Listing+ListingDocument

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management
Category
Municipal Inventory Adopted 25 Feb 1998 1.Exceptional significance
Classified by the National Trust Classified 02 Jun 1987
Register of the National Estate Permanent 28 May 1996

Statement of Significance

Uralia is a significant building, for its architectural merit, and its association with the Throssell family, who were extremely influential in the district, because of commercial and political interests. It was also used as a maternity hospital for a number of years. Uralia is one of a number of buildings in Gordon Street which reflect the influence of the wealth gained by Northam as a result of the gold rush of the 1890s. It is aesthetically pleasing as a fine residential example of Federation Free style, exhibiting details characteristic of the Architect, Prockter and makes a significant contribution to the streetscape of the prestigious residential sector of Northam.

Physical Description

The single storey masonry residence features a distinctive double storey decorative turret tower topped by a belvedere, front gable, corner bay which rises through the roof as a parapet, and verandahs on four sides. The chimneys are trimmed with an arch design. The wide verandahs are supported by turned timber posts and timber trimming. Includes: entrance gates, approach, and Moreton Bay Fig tree.

History

Uralia was built in an elevated position on a 17 acre site fronting onto Gordon Street by Lionel Throssell, son of George Throssel, who was MLA for Northam (1890 to 1904) and Premier of WA for a brief period in 1901. The house was alongside 'Fermoy', George Throssell's home. After the collapse of the Throssell business empire in 1911, the bank assumed the property, allowing Lionel Throssell to stay on until Uralia was sold in 1923. The property was subdivided and the house became Rosalyn, a private maternity hospital, operating as such until 1948 when it became St John of God Hospital. For a period after 1973 it was used by the Marist Brothers and then as a classroom by St Joseph's School. It reverted to a private residence in 1985.

Integrity/Authenticity

Integrity: High degree Authenticity: High degree

Condition

Very Good

Associations

Name Type Year From Year To
H. J. Prockter, Architect - -

References

Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
1998 Municipal Inventory Shire of Northam 1998

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Other Use EDUCATIONAL Primary School
Present Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence
Original Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence
Other Use HEALTH Hospital

Architectural Styles

Style
Federation Free Style

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron
Wall STONE Local Stone
Wall BRICK Pointed Brick
Wall RENDER Roughcast

Historic Themes

General Specific
SOCIAL & CIVIC ACTIVITIES Community services & utilities
PEOPLE Famous & infamous people
SOCIAL & CIVIC ACTIVITIES Education & science

Creation Date

30 May 1989

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

01 Jan 2017

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.