City of Fremantle

Place Number



17 Lefroy Rd South Fremantle

Location Details

Local Government




Construction Date

Constructed from 1900

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management
(no listings)

Statement of Significance

House, 17 Lefroy Road, is a typical rendered masonry and iron single storey house dating from c1900. The place has aesthetic value for its contribution to the streetscape and the surrounding area. It is representative of the typical workers' houses in the South Fremantle area. The place is an example of the Federation Bungalow style of architecture.

Physical Description

Single storey rendered masonry and tile cottage with an asymmetrical facade constructed c1900. The walls are painted and rendered masonry. The roof hipped and gabled with no eaves and clad with corrugated iron. The half verandah is under a broken back tiled roof with round rendered columns. The front facade is asymetrical with a protruding front room with a timber window. Under the verandah is the front door and a timber framed window. There is a rendered brick fence to the front boundary and a small garden area behind. The garden and fence partially obscure views to the house.


Lefroy Road forms the northern boundary of the Lefroy Estate, which extended as far south at Lloyd Street. H Maxwell Lefroy was Comptroller of the Fremantle Prison in the 1860s. The portion of the street between South Terrace and Attfield Street was previously called Trinity Street. House, 17 Lefroy Road was built c. 1900 for owner J Campbell, a storeman. Harry Price owned the property from c. 1905 to c. 1930 and it was rented to tenants during this time. Alfred Flintoff was a long term tenant, living in the house from c. 1905 to c. 1920. Matthew Price was the registered owner of the house from c. 1930 to 1949/50, when it was purchased by Frank Iannello. In the early 1960s, a flat was built on the lot (presumably at the rear of the house; the flat was numbered 17A Lefroy Road). Frank Iannello retained ownership of his investment property until the mid-1960s, when it was bought by Zora and Josip Pervan. The Pervans continued to own the property until the mid-1980s. Houses 2,


Medium degree of integrity (original intent partially clear, current use compatible, high long term sustainability). Medium degree of authenticity with some original fabric remaining. (These statements based on street survey only).


Condition assessed as good (assessed from streetscape survey only).


Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
19386 PWD & MWSSDD plans Map or Plan

Place Type

Individual Building or Group


Epoch General Specific
Original Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence
Present Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence

Architectural Styles

Federation Bungalow

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall BRICK Rendered Brick
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron

Historic Themes

General Specific
DEMOGRAPHIC SETTLEMENT & MOBILITY Land allocation & subdivision

Creation Date

31 Aug 2006

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

11 Feb 2020


This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.