City of Fremantle

Place Number



47 South St South Fremantle

Location Details

Local Government




Construction Date

Constructed from 1903

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents
Heritage List YES 08 Mar 2007

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management
Municipal Inventory Adopted 18 Sep 2000 Level 3

Statement of Significance

House, 47 South Street, is likely to be a typical limestone, brick and tile single storey house dating from c1903. The place has aesthetic value for its contribution to the streetscape and the surrounding area. It is representative of the typical workers' houses in the Fremantle area. The place is an example of the Federation Bungalow style of architecture.

Physical Description

47 South Street is a single storey, single room width, limestone, and iron house with asymmetrical façade built in 1903 and designed as an example of the Federation Bungalow style of architecture. The walls are limestone with red brick quoins. The roof is pitched and clad with corrugated iron. The verandah has a separate bullnose corrugated iron roof supported by side masonry walls. There are two rendered corbelled chimneys evident. There is a high brick wall to the front boundary line making further description difficult.


House, 47 South Street was built in 1902/03 for Mrs Mary Jones, the widow of a pensioner guard. The Jones had owned the land for several years and had already built a cottage in South Street (No. 49) and two cottages in Attfield Street. All were leased to tenants. A Metropolitan Sewerage plan dated c. 1910 shows a narrow brick residence, with full length front and rear verandahs. There was a galvanised iron structure in the back yard. Ownership of House, 47 South Street was transferred to Stuart Jones c. 1908. Rob Webb was the occupant at this time. By 1921, the cottage was owned and occupied by James Fisher. Title was transferred to Mary Fisher c. 1935 and to Jessie Fisher c. 1940. Jessie married to become Jessie Nutt and lived in the house until the early 1950s, when it was sold to A Mannolini. From the mid-1950s until at least the mid-1970s, House, 47 South Street was owned and occupied by Panayotis and Polixeni Mavros. Between 1978 and 1993 the cottage was restored. The paint was removed from the façade and the bull-nosed verandah reinstated. A tall brick fence was also built along the front boundary. This place was included in the list of heritage places in the City of Fremantle identified by the Fremantle Society (1979/80) - BROWN -significant for making a positive contribution to the built environment of Fremantle.


High degree of integrity (original intent clear, current use compatible, high long term sustainability). High degree of authenticity with much original fabric remaining. (These statements based on street survey only).


Condition assessed as good (assessed from streetscape survey only).

Place Type

Individual Building or Group


Epoch General Specific
Present Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence
Original Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence

Architectural Styles

Federation Bungalow

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron
Wall STONE Limestone
Wall BRICK Face Brick

Historic Themes

General Specific
DEMOGRAPHIC SETTLEMENT & MOBILITY Land allocation & subdivision

Creation Date

20 Jul 2011

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

19 Feb 2020


This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.