Wagin Post Office


Shire of Wagin

Place Number



39 Tudhoe St Wagin

Location Details

Local Government




Construction Date

Constructed from 1912

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents
State Register Permanent 02 Sep 1998 HCWebsite.Listing+ListingDocument, HCWebsite.Listing+ListingDocument

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management
Municipal Inventory Adopted Category 1
Statewide Post Office Survey Completed 01 Mar 1992
Classified by the National Trust Classified 08 Mar 1994

Statement of Significance

The place is a fine example of Federation Arts and Craft style domestic in scale. Although of a standard post office design, the building makes and important contribution to the streetscape of Tudhoe and Traverse streets for its richly modelled facade and use of lightly coloured joinery which contrasts with the brickwork creating visual interest. The place has historic value for its association with Government Architect, Hillson Beasley.

Physical Description

PHYSICAL EVIDENCE The building is a single-storey structure in the Federation Arts & Craft style.1 The style was common for post office buildings throughout Western Australia built around the turn-of-the-century, particularly those designed by Hillson Beasley, Government Architect (1906-1917). The building is built to the building line of Tudhoe and Traverse streets in a domestic scale. The building addresses both streets with its principal facade to Tudhoe Street. The exterior walls are in brickwork laid in english bond with dark headers and modelled. The exterior wall of the Traverse Street wall has stonework to window sill height. The building is simple in design and domestic in scale with richly modelled street elevations. The building is of traditional masonry and timber construction built on a stone plinth. The tile covered roof forms a dominant element, with its medium pitch, vented gablet, bracketed eaves, and a louvred lantern with a domed roof capped with a weather vane. The main entry to the post office is via two, well proportioned corner porticoes, one at each end of the principal facade. These porticoes dominate the facade in size and detail. The porticoes each contain an elevated porch and have two large semi-circular archways supported by a corner brick column. The archways have pronounced rendered keystones and a rendered course at the top of the walls. The centre of the Tudhoe Street facade has a large, recessed, semi-circular arched window with a semi-circular arched sash divided into six panes. The upper sashes are further divided into smaller panes with slim glazing bars. The centre of the window features a triangular pediment supported by brackets. The archway and the two slit windows either side of this central window have rendered pronounced keystones. The two slit windows have rendered sills. All other openings are separated by brick pilasters. The windows have double-hung sashes with rendered, pronounced keystones and string course. A rendered band at the top of the walls extends around the building. The joinery is painted a light colour which contrasts with the red brick walls. PLBs have been added to the porches and the building has been extended at the rear along the Traverse Street wall.


Until 1890, Wagin's nearest Post Office was in Arthur River. The Government had earlier begun a mail run in 1869, using 40 horses along the Perth to Albany Road accompanied by the mail coach. In 1893, in recognition of Wagin's growing importance, a post and telegraph office was built of blue stone. The building was opened on 3 August and was the first post office in Wagin. The building was built by contractor, James Mackie at a cost of £1 084 - £100 for the land and £984 for the building . The building was constructed to the designs of government architect George Temple-Poole.2 The need for a larger post office was raised in 1910.3 In May 1912, construction of the present post office building was commenced by T. P. Menzies, as a result of a tender submitted of £2,596. The architect was Hillson Beasley and is one of a standard design built through the south-west of Western Australia.4 in August 1912, the Southern Argus noted that the, "foundations of the new post and telegraph offices have been laid Here there will be another expenditure of £2,500H.5 On the adjoining site is the earlier post office now converted to quarters. This building was built on the site of a former Piesse Bros. Stores. In 1996, the building continues to be used as a Post Office.






Name Type Year From Year To
Hillson Beasley (Government Architect) Architect 1912 -


Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
"Southern Argus". 6-8-1901
"Southern Argus". p.5 31-8-1912
R Apperly, R Irving & P Reynolds;"A Pictorial Guide to Identifying Australian Architecture, Styles and Terms from 1788 to the Present". pp. 140-143 Angus & Robertson, Sydney 1989
The National Trust of Australia (WA) Historic Places Assessment Form. 1994
"West Australian". p.6 16-12-1901

Place Type

Individual Building or Group


Epoch General Specific
Original Use Transport\Communications Comms: Post or Telegraph Office
Present Use Transport\Communications Comms: Post or Telegraph Office
Original Use Transport\Communications Rail: Office or Administration Bldg

Architectural Styles

Federation Free Style

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Roof TILE Terracotta Tile
Wall BRICK Common Brick

Historic Themes

General Specific

Creation Date

04 May 1989

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

31 Dec 2016


This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.