Uniting Church, Katanning


Shire of Katanning

Place Number



Lot 3 & 82 Taylor St Katanning

Location Details

Other Name(s)

Presbyterian Church
Scots' Church

Local Government



Great Southern

Construction Date

Constructed from 1906

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents
State Register Registered 11 Jul 2008 HCWebsite.Listing+ListingDocument, HCWebsite.Listing+ListingDocument

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management
Uniting Church Inventory Completed 01 Oct 1996
Municipal Inventory Adopted 25 Jan 1996 Category 2

Statement of Significance

The former Presbyterian Church also represents the former Methodist congregation, which was established in Katanning at the same time. The Uniting Church therefore has social and historical significance, especially in light of the fact that little authentic evidence remains from the Methodist Church building. The church building has some architectural and aesthetic significance with its unique spire, which forms part of the skyline of the town.

Physical Description

A brick and corrugated iron building of Federation Gothic design. It has a prominent zinc clad spire protruding from a battlement campanile. Additions have been made to the north-east side of the original church building. The front has three trefoil head windows within a lancet opening and quatrefoil window within the arch. The additions are intrusive.


The Rev. George Brewster of Albany gave the first Presbyterian service in 1900. The interest stimulated by this first service resulted in a local committee being formed, the main purpose of which was to establish a minister in the district. In November 1900 Rev. A K Ross became the first Presbyterian minister to be posted in Katanning. The early days of the Presbyterian congregation were not without their problems. A scattered and constantly moving population, lack of suitable building in which to conduct services, and want of experience of Australia and Australians were only a few of the difficulties. [Thomas, p. 91] Owing to poor health, Rev. Ross resigned from the charge in 1904, but he had begun the work of having a church built. His successor, Pastor A Lusted continued on with this work and "lost no time in raising the superstructure on the foundations already well and truly laid" [Thomas, p. 91] Mr F W Burwell of Fremantle prepared plans for the church, and the contractor was Alex Thomson. The contract price was £567 10s, and added to the cost of the land the whole project cost nearly £700. The bricks were all made locally and the roof of the church spire was skilfully performed by plumber, Charles Mitchell. Pastor Lusted left in June 1906 and his replacement, Rev. John Smith who was to see the foundation stone being laid and the church open in October 1906. During the ceremony, attended by the Right Rev. H C Matthews and two hundred people, the secretary, John Barley, placed a sealed bottle containing newspapers and documents in a cavity in the memorial stone. In the 1960s the church and hall were in need of repairs, additions and alterations. The church was rewired when SEC power was connected to the town. The original timber fence was removed and replaced by a low brick fence constructed by Bob Coventry. A new notice board was purchased, repairs were done to the front outside wall (also by Bob Coventry), the hall windows were weatherproofed and some kitchen cupboards installed. In addition, Messrs Leach and McFarland repaired the leadlight windows, which had been damaged, and the Presbyterian Ladies Guild organised for new carpet to be laid in the church. The possible amalgamation of the Katanning Presbyterian and Methodist Churches was first discussed in the early 1960s. In 1972 it was a reality and the two churches combined to form the United Parish of Katanning and Districts. After a trial period it was decided by the Council to use and develop the Presbyterian Church and buildings and to sell the Methodist Church (now known as the Autumn Club).




Name Type Year From Year To
F W Burwell Architect 1906 -


Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
Zillah T; "To the Glory of God: a history of the Katanning Methodist and Presbyterian Churches". 1988

Place Type

Individual Building or Group


Epoch General Specific
Present Use RELIGIOUS Church, Cathedral or Chapel
Present Use RELIGIOUS Church Hall
Original Use RELIGIOUS Church, Cathedral or Chapel
Other Use RELIGIOUS Church Hall

Architectural Styles

Federation Gothic

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Roof METAL Zincalume
Wall BRICK Common Brick

Historic Themes

General Specific
SOCIAL & CIVIC ACTIVITIES Community services & utilities

Creation Date

31 Jan 1989

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

01 Jan 2017


This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.