Marrinup Prisoner of War Camp

Author

Shire of Murray

Place Number

03103

Location

Forest Block No 23 Marrinup

Location Details

4 km North-West of Dwellingup, Marrinup

Local Government

Murray

Region

Peel

Construction Date

Constructed from 1943

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents
State Register Registered 04 Apr 1996 HCWebsite.Listing+ListingDocument, HCWebsite.Listing+ListingDocument

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management
Category
Municipal Inventory Adopted 25 Aug 2011 Category A
Register of the National Estate Indicative Place

Statement of Significance

Marrinup POW camp is the only example of a permanent specialised WWII camp constructed in Western Australia. There has been minimal development of the site for the archaeological record is still intact.

Physical Description

Concrete, retained earth, large tree stumps. Foundations only - no structures. Remains of camp include: masonry foundations; concrete and retained earth foundations; latrines; garden terraces; ornamental gardens, edging, paths; fence lines and drains; tree stump which was used as base for guard towers; refuse features; bridges and stumps.

History

Officially called No. 16 POW Camp, Marrinup, the place was commenced in August 1943 as part of the ‘Rural Employment Without Guards Scheme’ to alleviate labour shortages. This camp was the headquarters of the Scheme in Western Australia, and was responsible for the allocation/relocation of internees to other parts of the South-West for farm placement. As per the Geneva Convention, prisoners were employed in non-war related work, such as chopping wood for hospitals, etc. Many of those interned were male residents from Harvey and Waroona, which had large Italian populations. Some immigrants had previously applied for Australian Citizenship, thus avoiding being interned. The prisoners were popular with the local people, and it has been said that some of the ‘enemy’ could be found drinking with at the Dwellingup Hotel. The Camp was enlarged in July 1944 to include an additional two guard towers. The place was closed in August 1946 and dismantled in September 1946. In the early 21st century, interpretive signage was installed by the Department of Environment and Conservation.

Integrity/Authenticity

High

Condition

Good (as site)

References

Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
Heritage Council of WA Assessment Marrinup Prisoner of War Camp

Other Reference Numbers

Ref Number Description
037 Municipal Inventory

Place Type

Historic Site

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Present Use GOVERNMENTAL Other
Original Use GOVERNMENTAL Other

Architectural Styles

Style
Other Style

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall TIMBER Other Timber

Historic Themes

General Specific
OUTSIDE INFLUENCES World Wars & other wars

Creation Date

22 Apr 1993

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

01 Jan 2017

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.