City of Fremantle

Place Number



307 South Tce South Fremantle

Location Details

Local Government




Construction Date

Constructed from 1914

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents
Heritage List YES 08 Mar 2007

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management
Municipal Inventory Adopted 18 Sep 2000 Level 3

Statement of Significance

House, 307 South Terrace, is a typical brick and iron single storey house dating from c 1914. The place has aesthetic value for its contribution to the streetscape and the surrounding area. It is representative of the typical workers' houses in the Fremantle area. The place is an example of the Federation Bungalow style of architecture.

Physical Description

House, 307 South Terrace, is a single storey, brick and iron house with a symmetrical facade built in 1914 and designed as an example of the Federation Bungalow style of architecture. The walls are rendered masonry. The roof is hipped and gabled and clad with corrugated iron. The small gable end features timber elements. The front elevation has a central front door with side and fanlights flanked on either side by aluminium windows. The verandah has a separate bullnose corrugated iron roof and is supported by rendered masonry posts with rendered masonry balustrade. There are two brick and rendered corbelled chimneys evident. There is a low brick wall as well as a high wire security fence to the front boundary line.


House, 307 South Terrace was built in 1913/14 for Ernest Rosenbrock, a miner from Boulder. Prior to this there had been a cottage and blacksmith’s shop on the lot (between 1902 and 1910). A Metropolitan Sewerage plan dated c. 1908 shows a brick residence with full length front and rear verandahs. Mr Rosenbrock retained ownership until 1921, when the property was sold to Sabina and Mary Heston. After Sabina’s death in 1939, Mary became the sole owner. Mary Heston died in 1959 and in 1960, Eileen Edgar and Patricia Whitely bought the property. In 1971, the house was bought by R Piercy & Co Pty Ltd (Stowe and Stowe). Circa 1983, a large addition comprising offices and lunch room was made to the rear of the building to connect it to the wool store on Marine Terrace [Lots 32, 33 and 34 of 8]. The house was used as an office at this time. This place was included in the list of heritage places in the City of Fremantle identified by the Fremantle Society (1979/80) - RED -significant for contributing to the unique character of Fremantle. The house is now part of the Sealanes warehouse and buildings complex, on lots that address Marine Terrace. (178 Marine Tce and 230 Marine Tce)


High degree of integrity (original intent clear, current use compatible, high long term sustainability). High degree of authenticity with much original fabric remaining. (These statements based on street survey only).


Condition assessed as good (assessed from streetscape survey only).

Place Type

Individual Building or Group


Epoch General Specific
Original Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence
Present Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence

Architectural Styles

Federation Bungalow

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall RENDER Smooth
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron
Wall BRICK Rendered Brick

Historic Themes

General Specific
DEMOGRAPHIC SETTLEMENT & MOBILITY Land allocation & subdivision

Creation Date

20 Jul 2011

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

19 Feb 2020


This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.