Coorinja Winery

Author

Shire of Toodyay

Place Number

12151

Location

5989 Toodyay Rd Toodyay

Location Details

GPS: 0450149 6503586

Local Government

Toodyay

Region

Avon Arc

Construction Date

1886 to 0

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents
Town Planning Scheme YES 17 Sep 2009

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management
Category
Municipal Inventory Adopted 27 Aug 1998 Category 2

Statement of Significance

The place has historic value as it is associated with the establishment and development of major vineyards and wineries in the Avon Valley. The place has historic value for its associations with Timothy Quinlan and the Wood family. The place has aesthetic value for its original construction methods and materials.

Physical Description

Red brick and stone structure. Two storey building with cellars of stone, a simple open verandah and hipped and gabled corrugated iron roof. Timber casement windows with stone dressings to cellar windows and all openings are set with rounded brick arches. The louvred openings maintain the symmetrical layout of the openings on the main range of the winery. The adjoining storage barn is a double height brick structure with iron hipped roof. Louvred openings and the double barn doors are the only features on the main façade. High level door opening and four small windows to side elevation. Brickwork laid in English Garden Wall bond. Iron extension to the rear of the winery. The symmetrical façade of the main entrance has centrally placed double doors flanked by small-paned casement windows and a stained glass window above the door incorporating 'Coorinja Winery' into the design. All the openings are set within stained timber surrounds. Internally some original barrels are still being used. Steel beams were shipped from Oregon, USA.

History

This property was purchased by Timothy Francis Quinlan, son-in-law of Daniel Connor and protege of B.D. Clarkson. Quinlan has worked for local business man J.H. Monger before expanding his business interests into property and entering politics. The winery was built in 1886 and extended in 1893. The first pruning competition in the district was held at Coorinja vineyard. In 1919 W.T. Wood purchased the property. The property is believed to be one of the last remaining wineries in the district which was established in the 19th century.

Integrity/Authenticity

Integrity: Medium Authenticity: High

Condition

Fair

Associations

Name Association Type Date From Date To
T.F. Quinlan (none) - -
William T. Wood (none) - -

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Original INDUSTRIAL\MANUFACTURING Winery
Present INDUSTRIAL\MANUFACTURING Winery

Architectural Styles

Style
Victorian Georgian

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall BRICK Common Brick
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron

Historic Themes

General Specific
OCCUPATIONS Manufacturing & processing

Creation Date

17 Sep 1998

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

19 Dec 2012

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.