Captain Stirling Hotel, Nedlands

Author

City of Nedlands

Place Number

01832

Location

80 Stirling Hwy Nedlands

Location Details

Local Government

Nedlands

Region

Metropolitan

Construction Date

Constructed from 1935

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents
Heritage List Adopted 18 Dec 2017
State Register Permanent 30 Aug 2016 HCWebsite.Listing+ListingDocument, HCWebsite.Listing+ListingDocument

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management
Category
Register of the National Estate Permanent 26 Oct 1999
Survey of 20th Ctry Architecture Completed 01 Mar 1988
Art Deco Significant Bldg Survey Completed 30 Jun 1994
Classified by the National Trust Adopted 22 Apr 1998
Statewide Hotel Survey Completed 01 Nov 1997
Municipal Inventory Adopted 15 Apr 1999
Municipal Inventory Adopted 27 Apr 1999 Category B

Statement of Significance

The Captain Stirling Hotel has aesthetic, historic and social cultural heritage significance, The Captain Stirling Hotel is one of several buildings constructed in the Inter-War period along the Stirling Highway, reflecting the development of the City of Nedlands and the growing importance of the motor vehicle. This building is a fine example of the Inter-War Mediterranean style. Its detailing presents a high standard of artistic excellence. The arcaded design has proved particularly suitable for the Perth suburban environment. Sufficient exterior fabric remains for the building to reveal its design while the intact fabric of the upper floor accommodation is a fine example of its type. The Captain Stirling Hotel bas operated as a. Significant meeting place for members of the local ccmmuniry since its construction. The hotel Is significant for its association with architects Marshall Clifton and George Herbert Parry. Clifton rose to prominence in Western Australia through his development of a. Mediterranean architectural style in tile Inter- War period. The building is also important for its associations with the Johnson family, as one of their extensive property holdings in Western Australia and as part of their hotel chain.

Physical Description

The Captain Stirling Hotel is a two-storey structure wlrh n single-storey drive-in boltle department in the north-cast corner or the site. The Captain Stirling WIIS originally constructed with an arcade on the ground Iloor. intersected by a gabled projection. and with IJ verandah along the upper Ooor of the southern elevation. The arcade has recently been enclosed. Architectural clcrncnts of note include soffit brackets. serpentine gables and lettering. and twisted precast pressed cement columns. The building is also distinguished by the location. distribution and proportion of the openings. the steel framed casement windows and tJle limber doors and door furniture. The drive-in bottle shop was notable for its butterfly roof at the time of its opening in J 958, It was designed in the office of Marshall Clifton by Mr Bin Evans.

History

The Captain Stirling Hotcl was designed by the partnership of George Herbert Parry and Marshall Clifton, both prominent architects in the Nedlands/Dalkeith district, The hotel was built for Senator Bertie Johnson by H E Allwood for £9.981. It was construct cd in 1935, Over the years it has had various lessees and owners. including the Johnson family who owned a chain of hotels. and Marie Louise Wordsworth (daughter of Senator Johnson), In 1958 the owners of the Captain Stirling Hotel opened Westena Australia's first driveIn boulcshop. This innovative shopping technique was advertised on a full page advertisement in The West Australian, The advertisement announced: "A new era of motorised shopping commences Friday September 19. for the first time ever in WA you can "Drive-In" for your liquor requirements. There is no parking worries and no delay. Ladies particularly, will appreciate this new idea". During the 1980s the Captain Stirling Hotel was taken over by a new owner, Marie Louise Wordsworth, She believed sentiment may have partly prompted her purchase as the hotel was originally built for her father. However. she also believed she would make a return on her investment. Originally she was advised by ber hotel broker to demolish the hotel and start again but she was quoted as saying this would have resulted in 'a tasteless, ghastly monstrosity'. Instead much time and effort was put into restoring the external part of the hotel and redesigning and renovating the internal part under design guidelines of Architect, Overman & Zuidceveld. In 1997 the hotel was assessed for entry into the National Estate by the Australian Heritage Commission. The National Trust has also recommended the hotel for classification, April 1998.

Integrity/Authenticity

Moderate

Condition

Good

Other Reference Numbers

Ref Number Description
N3 LGA Place No

State Heritage Office library entries

Library Id Title Medium Year Of Publication
6619 Preliminary heritage survey of the properties affected by the MRS reservation along Stirling Highway (Jarrad Street, Cottesloe to Winthrop Avenue, Subiaco). Heritage Study {Other} 2002

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Present Use COMMERCIAL Hotel, Tavern or Inn
Original Use COMMERCIAL Hotel, Tavern or Inn

Architectural Styles

Style
Inter-War Spanish Mission

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Roof TILE Terracotta Tile
Wall BRICK Rendered Brick

Historic Themes

General Specific
OCCUPATIONS Hospitality industry & tourism
PEOPLE Famous & infamous people

Creation Date

23 Feb 1989

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

13 Apr 2018

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.