Mt. Florence Homestead

Author

Shire of Ashburton

Place Number

01744

Location

Mt Florence Station Wittenoom

Location Details

Local Government

Ashburton

Region

Pilbara

Construction Date

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management
Category
Municipal Inventory Adopted 17 Aug 1999 Category C
Register of the National Estate Permanent 15 Oct 1984
Register of the National Estate Indicative Place
Classified by the National Trust Classified 05 Jun 1984

Statement of Significance

Mt Florence has aesthetic, historic and representative cultural heritage significnace. The Mt Florence homestead consists of a significant group of buildings set in an attrative garden setting. The buildings are typical of the North West homestead type in that living and sleeping areas are separated and each building relies on verandahs for circulation and space. If anything the mt Florence Homestead is more fragmented than most in the Pilbara. Built in the 1890's the homestead has an important place int he history of the development of pastoralism in the Ashburton region. The oldest block, built in the 1890's, was demolished owing to extensive white ant damage.

Physical Description

The Mount Florence Homestead consists of group of buildings arranged about a forecourt and set on different levels as they ascend the lower slope of the high hill to the south east. The homestead is comprised of: kitchen/dining block. This building consists of a large kitchen/dining room and a bedroom at one end. The building is timber framed vertically, corrugated iron lined externally and hardboard lined internally with level ceilings. The roof is vaulted and there is a lean-to verandah on the north-east side facing the forecourt; the living room block. This block, on a lower level and removed from the kitchen, is similar in construction but has a verandah to all sides. On one corner the verandah is enclosed. The verandah floor is mostly paved with large flag stones. The bedroom block section of the house was built in the 1890s but has been demolished due to white ants. The second section was built between 1890 and 1915. It had a timber floor commencing close to ground level on the uphill side and being supported on approximately 1200mm high stumps on the downhill side. The structure is timber framed and corrugated iron clad having a small central core under the main roof which is hipped to a pyramid shape and wide verandahs all round. The verandah on the uphill side has been enclosed. The outbuildings are corrugated iron clad, ablutions and store; large machine shed and garage workshop with a smaller vaulted roofed building with lean-to at the north-east end; grave. Approximately 1km to the east is the grave of a young visitor who was killed on the property in the 1920s.

History

Built in the 1890's.

References

Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
National Trust;"Report for the Natonal Truct". 1984
"Traces of the Past; The national Truct Register of the Built Heritage of WA". 1997

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Present Use FARMING\PASTORAL Homestead
Original Use FARMING\PASTORAL Homestead

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Other TIMBER Other Timber
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron

Historic Themes

General Specific
OCCUPATIONS Grazing, pastoralism & dairying

Creation Date

30 May 1989

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

01 Jan 2017

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.