Victoria Plains Hotel (fmr) (ruins)


Shire of Victoria Plains

Place Number



Great Northern Hwy Waddington

Location Details

North of New Norcia

Other Name(s)

Waddington Hotel
Waddington Inn

Local Government

Victoria Plains



Construction Date

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management
Municipal Inventory Adopted 27 Oct 1998 Category 2
Statewide Hotel Survey Completed 01 Nov 1997

Physical Description

Stone structures with no roof or floors in place. The stone walls are mostly intact. The hotel precinct comprised the hotel building, a separate kitchen building behind (west), was originally linked to the hotel by grape trellis. Stables, a gaol, a horse driven chaff cutter were all adjacent to, and north of the main hotel building. It was a stop over for travellers including those with prisoners or convicts. There was a shop on the north end of the hotel building. The hotel also operated the post office and telephone exchange. 2 kilometres south of the hotel was the race track and cricket pitch.


In c1860, Annie Ellie Gull took up a lease on the 40 acre block Loc 537. The first horse races were held at Berkshire Valley in 1878, and became an annual event at Glentromie from 1879. The increase in travellers in the area, as it developed, resulted in the Pankie Inn (Settlers Arms) opening in 1878. By Christmas Day 1878, J. B. Jenks of Guildford had established the Victoria Plains Hotel, 6 miles north of Glentromie. In 1879, the block was surveyed, and in 1880, the deed was made out to Annie Ellie Gull. In 1881, the licence for the hotel was transferred to John Brown who then ran the place. Activity in the area increased when the cricket club established and a Victoria Plains Race and Jockey Club was formed. By 1883 John Waddington proposed a railway from Perth to Champion Bay. There was talk of creating a townsite called Waddington near Victoria Plains Hotel. The hotel was the rendezvous of the 'cockatoo' farmers. After the railway agreement in 1886, Waddington visited New Norcia. In 1887, John Brown purchased the property, while continuing to run the hotel. He changed the name to the Waddington Hotel. Andrew Lanigan and his brother Dick (RP) had the mail run from Mogumber to Waddington, and


Integrity: Redeemable Authenticity: High degree


Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
Erickson R; "The Victoria Plains". Shire of Victoria Plains 1971
Norwood H; "District History, New Norcia". 1969

Place Type

Individual Building or Group


Epoch General Specific
Present Use VACANT\UNUSED Vacant\Unused
Original Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall STONE Local Stone

Historic Themes

General Specific
SOCIAL & CIVIC ACTIVITIES Community services & utilities
OCCUPATIONS Hospitality industry & tourism

Creation Date

03 Dec 1998

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

01 Jan 2017


This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.