Station Master's House (fmr), Laverton

Author

Shire of Laverton

Place Number

16186

Location

Spence St Laverton

Location Details

Other Name(s)

Residence

Local Government

Laverton

Region

Goldfields

Construction Date

Constructed from 1903

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management
Category
Municipal Inventory Adopted 01 Feb 2000 Category 2

Statement of Significance

The place is the largest timber structure in Laverton. The place has representative value of a common design for residential buildings at that time. The substantial size of hte residence is an indication of the status fo hte staion master in society at the time.

Physical Description

The building is in a lawned and garden setting. The substantial single-storey residence is encircled by a concrete verandah (originally softwood) under a broken-back roof supported on square timber posts. The prominent roof is weatherboard clad on the gable walls and features a corbelled brick chimney. The exterior features double-hung sash windows divided into 12 panes by slim glazing bars. The fornt facade issymmetrical about a cemtral entrance. The interior has timber floors thorughout and the walls and ceilings are lined with ripple iron. The place retains two outbuildings; a wash house and a plant room (electrical). In the 1950's, the verandah floor was replaced with concrete. The gutters have been replaced with wire. In the mid 1960's, new gum trees were planted and a large mulberry and passionfruit tree were removed from the garden.

History

The railway arrived in Laverton in 1903 (Wises Post Office Directory 1903). That same year the Malcolm to Laverton railway contract was won by Joseph Timms for 40,141/10/9 pounds (State Records Office, Ace 260/CCE, AN 2621, no 149/03). It involved not only the construction of the railway stations but also the building of the Station Master's House. The wood brick and iron house with a woolshed and latrine was erected at a cost of 300 pounds (State Records Office, Acc 260/CCE, AN 2621, no 149/03). The first staion master was Percy Edwards and he was followed by many others (Wises Post Office Directory 1905, p 193). The last train from Laverton was in 1957 and the closure of hte line was greatly mourned by the townsfolk who laid a wreath of flowers on that final train (Destinations 1990, p 12). Since then, the fmr Station Master's House has been used as a private residence.

Integrity/Authenticity

Integrity: High Degree Authenticity: High Degree

Condition

Good

References

Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
"Destinations:, p 12 1990
"Wises Post Office Directory", 1903
Acc 260/CCE, AN 2621, no 149/03 State Records Office
"Wises Post Office Directory", p 193 1905

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Present Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence
Original Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence

Historic Themes

General Specific
TRANSPORT & COMMUNICATIONS Rail & light rail transport

Creation Date

01 Apr 2004

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

31 Dec 2016

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.