City of Fremantle

Place Number



177 Hampton Rd South Fremantle

Location Details

Local Government




Construction Date

Constructed from 1917

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents
Heritage List YES 08 Mar 2007

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management
Municipal Inventory Adopted 18 Sep 2000 Level 3

Statement of Significance

House, 177 Hampton Road, is a typical rendered masonry and iron single storey house dating from c1917. The place has aesthetic value for its contribution to the streetscape and the surrounding area. It is representative of the typical workers' houses in the Fremantle area. The place is an example of the Federation Bungalow style of architecture.

Physical Description

177 Hampton Road is a single storey, brick and tile house with a symmetrical façade built in 1917 and designed as an example of the Federation Bungalow style of architecture. The walls are rendered masonry. The roof is hipped and clad with tiles. The symmetrical front facade has a central front door with sidelights flanked on either side by timber framed windows The verandah has a continuous tiled roof and is supported by steel posts. The house is situated at street level and there is a masonry wall to the front boundary line.


Hampton Road was originally called Prison Road. It derives its name from John Stephen Hampton (1810-1869), the Governor of WA from 1862-68. He was previously Comptroller of Convicts in Tasmania. His son, G. E. Hampton, was Acting Comptroller-General of the Fremantle Convict Establishment. House, 177 Hampton Road was built in 1916/17 for the Jones family. Lilly Jones and then Charles Jones were listed as the owners in 1917/18; Samuel Jones was the occupant at this time. Circa 1924, ownership of the cottage was transferred to Samuel Jones, who continued to live there until he sold it to Michael McCall in the early 1930s. Between c. 1958 and c. 1966, House, 177 Hampton Road was owned and occupied by the Minciullo family. A Metropolitan Sewerage plan dated c. 1950 shows a small brick residence with a full length front verandah and a centrally located front path. There was a weatherboard addition at the rear and a separate asbestos outbuilding against the back fence. Manuel Goelho was the owner and occupier of the house from the mid-1970s until at least 1995. This place was included in the list of heritage places in the City of Fremantle identified by the Fremantle Society (1979/80) - BROWN -significant for making a positive contribution to the built environment of Fremantle.


Medium degree of integrity (original intent mostly clear, current use compatible, high long term sustainability). Medium degree of authenticity with some original fabric remaining. (These statements based on street survey only).


Condition assessed as good (assessed from streetscape survey only).

Place Type

Individual Building or Group


Epoch General Specific
Present Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence
Original Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence

Architectural Styles

Federation Bungalow

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall RENDER Smooth
Roof TILE Terracotta Tile

Historic Themes

General Specific
DEMOGRAPHIC SETTLEMENT & MOBILITY Land allocation & subdivision

Creation Date

20 Jul 2011

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

11 Feb 2020


This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.