Road Board Office (fmr)


Shire of Gingin

Place Number



Constable St Gingin

Location Details

Local Government



Avon Arc

Construction Date

Constructed from 1911

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Heritage Council Decisions or Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
RHP - To be assessed Current 31 Aug 2007

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management
Municipal Inventory Adopted 17 Nov 1994 Category 1
Classified by the National Trust Classified 03 Jul 1978
Register of the National Estate Permanent 28 Sep 1982

Statement of Significance

The Roads Board Office was used from 1911 until 1968 when the present day offices were completed.

Physical Description

Originally built (1911) as one large room with central front door and open fireplace with brick walls, jarrah floor and iron roof, it remained in this condition until partitioned with timber and asbestos sheeting in 1958 and continued as the Road Board Office until 1968. External asbestos and timber additions have since been added to facilitate its use as a pre-school centre.


An election to form the Gingin Road Board was held in 1893 and the inaugural meeting was held in the Granville Hotel. Later meetings were held in John Dewar's Hotel and the Good Templars Hall. Meetings were moved to the new Agricultural Hall between 1900 and 1903 and then it was decided to rent a house in Brockman St, opposite the school. Early in 1910 plans were put forward to build a new Roads Board Office at an estimated cost of 250 pounds. Eventually Mr. Tom's tender of 310 pounds was accepted, as this was the cheapest one. On April 29,1911 Mr. S.F. Moore MLA officially opened the new office and the Gingin Road Board at last had a permanent home. Construction materials are burnt bricks and an iron roof. There is one main room with an enclosed front verandah and rear facilities. In recent years it has been used as a Pre-School centre, a Playgroup and for Red Cross meetings. It belongs to the Gingin Shire Council.




Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
H Udell: "History of Gingin". p 154 & 276

Place Type

Individual Building or Group


Epoch General Specific
Present Use EDUCATIONAL Pre-primary Centre
Original Use EDUCATIONAL Other

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron
Wall BRICK Other Brick

Historic Themes

General Specific

Creation Date

30 May 1989

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

01 Jan 2017


This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.