St John the Baptist Church fmr

Author

Shire of Toodyay

Place Number

02578

Location

35 Stirling Tce Toodyay

Location Details

Other Name(s)

Residence
St. John the Baptist Church (RC)

Local Government

Toodyay

Region

Avon Arc

Construction Date

Constructed from 1864, Constructed from 1863

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management
Category
Classified by the National Trust Recorded 07 Jun 1977
Register of the National Estate Indicative Place
Catholic Church Inventory Adopted 01 Jul 1998
Municipal Inventory Adopted 27 Aug 1998 Category 2
RHP - To be assessed Current 25 Feb 2005

Statement of Significance

The place has historic value for its associations with clergymen and people of the Catholic faith between 1863 and 1963. It has aesthetic value for its simple and classic design and use of local materials and its contribution to the streetscape. The church has social value for its role in the community and its sense of place for generations of people who have worshipped and had special events and celebrations in the church.

Physical Description

Rendered brick and iron church, with tall pointed arch lancet windows, pointed pinnacles to the entrance porch and main façade. Round window incorporated into a rendered cross in the gable end.Restrained Gothic style with limited decoration.Dormer windows incorporated into the roof. Brickwork laid in Flemish bond with remnant tuck pointing evident on the gable.

History

Early in the settlement of Toodyay, Catholic services were held in private homes by Bishop Salvado who had organised a parish in 1855. A petition was drafted for land near the pensioner barracks and signed by over 100 people. Canon Raphael Martelli was appointed parish priest and in 1857 he began building the Church of Santa Maria of Toodyay which opened in 1858, in the original town site. Floods in 1859 and 1862 damaged the mud brick building. When the new town was planned, the St John Baptist Church was built at the new town site in1863-64. From that time until 1884,when the Sisters of Mercy came to Toodyay, the transept was used as a school room for Catholic children. In 1963 a new church next to St Aloysius was completed and this church was de-consecrated and sold into private ownership.

Integrity/Authenticity

Integrity: Medium Authenticity: Medium

Condition

Good

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Present Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence
Original Use RELIGIOUS Church, Cathedral or Chapel

Architectural Styles

Style
Victorian Free Gothic

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron
Wall BRICK Common Brick

Historic Themes

General Specific
SOCIAL & CIVIC ACTIVITIES Religion

Creation Date

04 May 1989

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

01 Jan 2017

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.