Azelia Ley Homestead


City of Cockburn

Place Number



Lot 9000 Glenister Rd Hamilton Hill

Location Details

Includes addresses: 17 Glenister Rd, Hamilton Hill; Lot 28 Davilak Ave, Hamilton Hill; Lots 128-129 Janson Rd, Hamilton Hill; Lot 127 Glenister Rd, Hamilton Hill; 83 Hamilton Rd, Spearwood; Lots 10, 61-64 & 2010 Azelia Rd, Spearwood.

Other Name(s)

Manning Estate

Local Government




Construction Date

Constructed from 1920

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents
Heritage List Adopted 14 Jul 2011
State Register Registered 22 Jun 2001 HCWebsite.Listing+ListingDocument, HCWebsite.Listing+ListingDocument

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management
Municipal Inventory Adopted 10 Apr 2014 Category A
Classified by the National Trust Classified 02 Feb 1982
Register of the National Estate Nominated 30 Apr 1982
Register of the National Estate Interim 24 Jun 1997

Parent Place or Precinct

10184 Manning Park

Child Places

  • 00511 Davilak House

Statement of Significance

Azelia Ley Homestead is part of an uncommon and intact example of a precinct of farm buildings in the Metropolitan Region. Azelia Ley Homestead has a long association with the Manning family, and with Azelia Ley (née Manning) in particular, for whom the homestead was built. Azelia Ley Homestead is a well proportioned example of a home in the Victorian Regency style. Azelia Ley Homestead is representative of early settlement and development in the Cockburn district. Azelia Ley Homestead has aesthetic value as part of a precinct of farm buildings of uniform construction and style.

Physical Description

Azelia Ley Homestead comprises the main homestead residence (c.1920) and associated outbuildings, located in Manning Park. The main body of the residence, which is almost square in plan, has a small kitchen wing attached to the south side of the building. The residence has broken-back verandahs against the east, north and west faces. It has a Marseilles profile terracotta tiled gambrel roof. Apart from a small area of the north side of the building, where the walls are of uncoursed rubble with brick quoins, the external walls have a rendered finish that has been decorated with ashlar lining. The main façade of the building is composed around a centrally located recessed bay with slightly projecting bays placed on either side. The central bay contains the front door and glazed sidelights. Each of the projecting bays contains three timber framed double hung sash windows. Outbuildings include a single-roomed limestone building, stables, ‘Old Wagon House’, two freestanding toilets and a water tank.


Manning Park is named after a prominent Cockburn resident, Lucius Manning. The Manning family developed a large estate with two homes around a lake formerly known as Davilak (and now known as Manning). The Aboriginal name for the water was Dgilgie’s Lake which was changed to Devil’s Lake by Manning, and subsequently pronounced Davilak by local Aborigines. There is archaeological evidence of the first Manning homestead constructed on the site (c.1850s), which is located to the north of the lake. Davilak House and surrounding complex of outbuildings was built by convict labour around 1866. The building and its outbuildings were abandoned after 1946 and burnt down in the late 1950s. The house constructed by Manning for his daughter, Azelia Ley, remains as a museum for the Cockburn district. Vegetation around Manning Lake consists of swamp paper bark and some large tuart trees, which are now rare in Cockburn. The lake is utilised for recreation and leisure pursuits, with the banks cleared and some landscaping around the trees. Children’s play equipment attracts families to the setting.


INTEGRITY: Moderate: the residence and outbuildings now serve a compatible use as a museum AUTHENTICITY: Moderate: main elements of the residence are intact, but there is uncertainty regarding the changes made during restoration works. Original shingle roof replaced with tile.




Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
G Nayton; "Conservation Plan for Davilak Ruins".
HCWA assessment for Azelia Ley Homestead State Heritage Office

State Heritage Office library entries

Library Id Title Medium Year Of Publication
10036 The changing Cockburn Coast. Appendices - European Heritage Electronic 2008
11358 Cast iron pillar boxes of Western Australia: An early history of the J & E Ledger foundry Book 2015
9926 Manning Estate, Hamilton Hill Heritage Study {Cons'n Plan} 2011
1887 Azelia Ley homestead restoration Report on completion of works Vol1 and photographs vol 2 Heritage Study {Other} 1986
11385 Archaeological management strategies for Davilak Ruins, Manning Estate, Hamilton Hill Heritage Study {Other} 2014

Place Type

Individual Building or Group


Epoch General Specific
Original Use FARMING\PASTORAL Homestead
Original Use FARMING\PASTORAL Stable
Present Use EDUCATIONAL Museum

Architectural Styles

Victorian Regency

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall STONE Limestone
Roof TILE Ceramic Tile

Historic Themes

General Specific
SOCIAL & CIVIC ACTIVITIES Cultural activities
OCCUPATIONS Grazing, pastoralism & dairying
PEOPLE Early settlers
DEMOGRAPHIC SETTLEMENT & MOBILITY Land allocation & subdivision

Creation Date

30 May 1989

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

06 Dec 2019


This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.