Rail Line (fmr) - Matheson Rd

Author

City of Belmont

Place Number

16863

Location

Matheson Rd Ascot

Location Details

Line ran down Belmont Rd, on the Maylands side and curved around after crossing the river to run alongside Matheson Rd.

Local Government

Belmont

Region

Metropolitan

Construction Date

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management
Category
(no listings)

Statement of Significance

In 1895 a rail link was opened with the actual line branching the Bayswater line at Mt Joanna and crossing the river on what had been Drummond's property Loc. 31. The line ran down Belmont Road, on the Maylands side and curved around after crossing the river to run alongside Matheson Road (then called Cambridge Crescent). The bridge was constructed in two separate sections with a line for "up" traffic and one for "down" traffic. In 1902 a controversy arose over the naming of the two stations along the racecourse link, but the Belmont Park Road Board was adamant that the name Belmont be retained at all cost. In addition to racing patrons the link also serviced local businesses. In particular Rowlands Produce Store and Brisbane and Wunderlich were extremely dependent upon the line for daily supplies. This line was closed in 1956 when a fire destroyed the bridge beyond repair. All remnants were demolished in the 1960's and the site of the Belmont Station is now part of the car park at Ascot Racecourse. The site is marked with a commemorative plaque erected in the year of the Bi-Centenary.

History

In 1895 a rail link was opened with the actual line branching the Bayswater line at Mt Joanna and crossing the river on what had been Drummond's property Loc. 31. The line ran down Belmont Road, on the Maylands side and curved around after crossing the river to run alongside Matheson Road (then called Cambridge Crescent). The bridge was constructed in two separate sections with a line for "up" traffic and one for "down" traffic. In 1902 a controversy arose over the naming of the two stations along the racecourse link, but the Belmont Park Road Board was adamant that the name Belmont be retained at all cost. In addition to racing patrons the link also serviced local businesses. In particular Rowlands Produce Store and Brisbane and Wunderlich were extremely dependent upon the line for daily supplies. This line was closed in 1956 when a fire destroyed the bridge beyond repair. All remnants were demolished in the 1960's and the site of the Belmont Station is now part of the car park at Ascot Racecourse. The site is marked with a commemorative plaque erected in the year of the Bi-Centenary.

Condition

Fair

Place Type

Historic site

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Original Use Transport\Communications Rail: Other
Present Use VACANT\UNUSED Vacant\Unused

Historic Themes

General Specific
TRANSPORT & COMMUNICATIONS Rail & light rail transport

Creation Date

08 Jun 2004

Publish place record online (inHerit):

AwaitingApproval

Last Update

16 Mar 2021

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.