Barloweerie Aerodrome

Author

Shire of Murchison

Place Number

18195

Location

Meeberrie-Mt Wittenoom Rd on Pia Aboriginal Reserve Murchison

Location Details

Local Government

Murchison

Region

Midwest

Construction Date

Constructed from 1949

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management
Category
Municipal Inventory Adopted 17 Aug 2007 Category 3

Statement of Significance

The Barloweerie Aerodrome site has considerable local historic significance for the important role it payed in providing a much needed commercial air and mail service into and out of the district.

Physical Description

Located on the south side of the Meeberrie-Mt Wittenoom Road is the remains of a shelter shed. Sited approximately 20 metres from the road edge all that remains of the shelter shed are several tall mulga posts and cross members that formed the roof structure. There is some remnant brush that would have formed the roof cover to provide some shelter, especially shade, for those waiting on planes to arrive. A small rectangular concrete foundation approximately 5 metres to the west of the structure is all the remains of the toilet, and bares the inscription, 'First plane 4/10/1949'. One tall timber pole remains of the former telephone line which connected the structure to the Wooleen-Murgoo telephone line.

History

The Barloweerie Aerodrome was completed in 1949, almost by Jim Crane utilising the new Roads Board International Armstrong Holland grader. Construction costs shared by the Aitkins Brothers (Murgoo), BH Sharpe & Co (Wooleen) and Boolardy Pastoral Co. (Boolardy). The Aerodrome was first used on the 4th October for the unauthorised landing of an Airlines (WA) Ltd Avro Anson. Air services were first operated initially with Avro Ansons and then De Havilland Doves. When MacRobertson-Miller Airlines (MMA) took over Airlines WA, DC-3's were used to service the Barloweerie Aerodrome. Originally consisting of 3 airstrips, the specifications were as follows: 176 degrees- 6000ft x 300ft = 100ft each side of the runway 132 degrees- 4800ft x 300ft (located alongside the road) 057 degrees- 3150ft x 300ft (this strip was abandoned in 1965) Records of the air service indicate that the peak passenger numbers were 53 in 1952, while other years recorded over 20 passengers. In 1969, after nearly twenty years of service, the district's only commercial air service ceased to call at Barloweerie Aerodrome due to the decline of local use. Most of the stations in the district had a Royal Flying Doctor Service Air Strip, including Yuin, whih was licensed for the use by the RFDS in 1948.The Yuin strip was also used by the RAAF during training exercises during WWII and later as a training ground for private plane licenses. (Sources: Nixon M & Lefroy RFB; "Road to Murchison",pp.59-60 and additional information supplied by RFB Lefroy.)

Integrity/Authenticity

Integrity: Low

Condition

Poor

References

Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
Nixon M & Lefroy R; "The Road to Murchison: an Illustrated Story of the District and it's People". Vanguard Press 1988

Place Type

Historic Site

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Present Use VACANT\UNUSED Vacant\Unused
Original Use Transport\Communications Air: Other

Historic Themes

General Specific
TRANSPORT & COMMUNICATIONS Air transport

Creation Date

02 Oct 2007

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

01 Jan 2017

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.