IMPERIAL CHAMBERS

Author

City of Fremantle

Place Number

00954

Location

35-55 Market St Fremantle

Location Details

Cnr Leake St

Local Government

Fremantle

Region

Metropolitan

Construction Date

Constructed from 1896

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents
Heritage List YES 08 Mar 2007

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management
Category
Municipal Inventory Adopted 18 Sep 2000 Level 1B
Register of the National Estate Permanent 21 Mar 1978
Classified by the National Trust Classified 28 Oct 1974

Statement of Significance

Imperial Chambers is of historic significance as an example of a commercial building in the Old Port City of Fremantle dating from the gold boom period in the late nineteenth and early twentieth century. The place is a fine example of a Federation Free Classical style of architecture with elaborate stucco decoration above the ground floor level. The place makes a significant contribution to the streetscape. The place is a significant landmark in the Old Port City of Fremantle. The place is of social significance as evidenced by its classification by the National Trust.

Physical Description

Imperial Chambers, 51-57 Market Street (corner Leake St), is a painted, rendered brick and decorative parapeted two storey commercial building constructed in 1896 as a fine example of the Federation Free Classical style of Architecture. It has a truncated corner with a zero setback from the pavement. There is a bracketed, gabled and engaged balustrade, and a decorative parapet with two gabled decorative pediments. The prominent pediment facing Market Street has 'Imperial Chambers 1896' appearing in stucco. The ground floor has a veranda awning (probably not original). The first floor façade features engaged pilasters extending through the parapet, and dividing pairs of timber sash windows, which have decorative stucco in arches in the aedicule. A Heritage Assessment was prepared in Aug 2009 by Carrick + Wills Architects for a DA submission to Council (DA248/09) for proposed internal and external alterations and signage to retail premises, Morrison, 55 Market Street.

History

Erected in 1896 for Edwin Foss, and remained in the family until 1947. Currently (2002), various commercial outlets. A Heritage Assessment was prepared in Aug 2009 by Carrick + Wills Architects for a DA submission to Council (DA248/09) for proposed internal and external alterations and signage to retail premises, Morrison, 55 Market Street.

Integrity/Authenticity

High degree of integrity (original intent clear, current use compatible, high long term sustainability). High degree of authenticity with much original fabric remaining. (These statements based on street survey only).

Condition

Condition assessed as good (assessed from streetscape survey only).

Associations

Name Type Year From Year To
O Nicholson Architect - -

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Original Use COMMERCIAL Office or Administration Bldg
Other Use COMMERCIAL Shopping Complex
Present Use COMMERCIAL Shopping Complex

Architectural Styles

Style
Federation Free Classical

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron
Wall BRICK Painted Brick
Wall RENDER Smooth

Historic Themes

General Specific
OCCUPATIONS Commercial & service industries

Creation Date

30 May 1989

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

01 Jan 2017

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.