Trades Hall (fmr)


City of Fremantle

Place Number



6 Collie St Fremantle

Location Details

Local Government




Construction Date

Constructed from 1904

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents
Heritage List YES 08 Mar 2007

Heritage Council Decisions or Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management
Classified by the National Trust Classified 01 Aug 1983
Register of the National Estate Nominated 21 Oct 1980
Register of the National Estate Registered 21 Oct 1980
Municipal Inventory Adopted 18 Sep 2000 Level 1B

Statement of Significance

The former Trades Hall, 6 Collie Street (1904) is a visually imposing civic building designed in the Federation Free Classical style of Architecture and constructed during the gold boom period within the West End Conservation Area of Fremantle. This place is historic significance as the former Trades Hall with strong associations with the trade union movement which gives a social significance especially as Fremantle was the centre of powerful maritime and port unions. The place is of social significance as evidenced by its classification by the National Trust.

Physical Description

The former Trades Hall (1904) is a two storey painted (originally tuck pointed) Flemish bond brick and corrugated iron roofed building designed in the Federation Free Classical style of architecture. The building is situated with a slight diagonal setback from the pavement. On the ground floor there is a frontispiece projection in the centre of the façade supported by pillars (both have stone plaques) and archivolt front and sides. The decorative parapet features a pediment where '888' appears in the pediment. A string course joins the stucco arches above the timber framed windows which are mainly casement to the first floor and double hung sash to the ground floor.


Collie St is named after Dr Alex Collie, R.N. Surgeon on H.M.S. Sulphur, and Colonial Surgeon. With Lieut. Preston, Collie explored the Collie and Preston Rivers. Dr Collie was later Government Resident at Albany. 6 Collie Street was designed and built in 1904 by architect Joseph Allen as the Trades Hall. The foundation stone laid by Sir John Forrest. The building was opened on Foundation Day 1907 by W. H. Carpenter, the Labour Member for Fremantle. The '888' on the façade signifies ‘8 hrs work, 8 hrs leisure, 8 hrs sleep,’ which was the initial aim of trade unions. Thereafter the place was used as headquarters of the Fremantle Trades and Labour movement, including the 50 Port unions, until the 1960s. It was the centre of powerful maritime and port unions, and workplace of prominent leaders such as Paddy Troy, founder of the maritime union and the TLC. The funeral procession for Thomas Edwards left the Trades Hall on 7 May 1919. Edwards had died in a conflict at Victoria Quay on 4 May 1919. The building was empty from 1962-68. It was sold by auction in 1968 for $21, 000. It was then used as a theatre, the Old Trades Music Hall. From 1974 onward it was restaurants, including Jose's Restaurant in 1977 owned by Jose Monterrubio. In 1981 the Raj Neeshee's took out a six-year lease and operated a restaurant, Zorba the Buddha. As the La Maschere Club it won an Architecture Design Award in 1987. In 2002 the place was part of the Esplanade Hotel, used as a convention centre. The place changed ownership c2007 and plans prepared by Gerard McCann Architect subsequently approved by the City of Fremantle included conservation works and conversion to ground floor offices and a first floor residence (2009). A Heritage Assessment was prepared in Aug 2009 by the City of Fremantle for a DA submission to Council for proposed external painting and minor alterations to the ground floor.


Medium degree of integrity (original intent partially clear, current use compatible, high long term sustainability). Medium degree of authenticity with some original fabric remaining. (These statements based on street survey only).


Condition assessed as good (assessed from streetscape survey only).


Name Type Year From Year To
Joseph Francis Allen (1869-1933) Architect - -

Place Type

Individual Building or Group


Epoch General Specific
Present Use COMMERCIAL Restaurant
Original Use SOCIAL\RECREATIONAL Trades Hall
Other Use OTHER Other

Architectural Styles

Federation Free Classical

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron
Wall RENDER Smooth
Wall BRICK Pointed Brick
Wall BRICK Common Brick

Historic Themes

General Specific
SOCIAL & CIVIC ACTIVITIES Community services & utilities

Creation Date

30 May 1989

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

21 Mar 2019


This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.