City of Fremantle

Place Number



92 Hampton Rd Fremantle

Location Details

Local Government




Construction Date

Constructed from 1897

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents
Heritage List YES 08 Mar 2007

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
RHP - To be assessed Current 25 Jan 2006

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management
Municipal Inventory Adopted 18 Sep 2000 Level 3

Statement of Significance

House, 92 Hampton Road, is a typical rendered masonry and iron single storey house dating from c 1897. The place has aesthetic value for its contribution to the streetscape and the surrounding area. It is representative of the typical workers' houses in the Fremantle area. The place is an example of the Federation Bungalow style of architecture.

Physical Description

92 Hampton Road is a single storey, rendered masonry and iron house with an asymmetrical façade built c1897 and designed as an example of the Federation Bungalow style of architecture. The walls are rendered masonry. The roof is hipped and gabled and clad with corrugated iron. There is a protruding front room with aluminium windows. The verandah has a separate corrugated iron roof and is supported by rendered masonry posts with cement pillar balustrade which extends out over the protruding front room. Under the verandah is a front door with side and fanlights and another aluminium window. There are two corbelled chimneys evident. There is a low level modern brick wall to the front boundary line. This place contains a limestone feature.


Hampton Road was originally called Prison Road. It derives its name from John Stephen Hampton (1810-1869), the Governor of WA from 1862-68. He was previously Comptroller of Convicts in Tasmania. His son, G. E. Hampton, was Acting Comptroller-General of the Fremantle Convict Establishment. House, 92 Hampton Road was built between 1895 and 1900. The post office directory for 1900 lists William Jarratt as living in the cottage. There was a simple square building (no verandahs or outbuildings) at 92-94 Hampton Road in 1913. By 1930/31, House, 92 Hampton Road was owned Patrick Armstrong and occupied by Thomas Armstrong. At this time, it was numbered 94 Hampton Road. The cottage changed hands in the 1950s, with Angela La Presti buying it c. 1955. By 1960, it was owned and occupied by Battista Miragliotta, who still owned it in 1981. This place was included in the list of heritage places in the City of Fremantle identified by the Fremantle Society (1979/80) - BROWN -significant for making a positive contribution to the built environment of Fremantle.


Medium degree of integrity (original intent mostly clear, current use compatible, high long term sustainability). Medium degree of authenticity with some original fabric remaining. (These statements based on street survey only).


Condition assessed as good (assessed from streetscape survey only).

Place Type

Individual Building or Group


Epoch General Specific
Original Use RESIDENTIAL Other

Architectural Styles

Federation Bungalow

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall RENDER Smooth
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron

Historic Themes

General Specific
DEMOGRAPHIC SETTLEMENT & MOBILITY Land allocation & subdivision

Creation Date

20 Jul 2011

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

11 Feb 2020


This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.