St Patrick's Church of England

Author

Shire of Pingelly

Place Number

24530

Location

Moorumbine Rd Moorumbine

Location Details

Lot 1797

Local Government

Pingelly

Region

Wheatbelt

Construction Date

Constructed from 1873

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management
Category
Municipal Inventory Adopted 28 Nov 1996 Category 2

Statement of Significance

The building represents the town's prosperity and importance within the colony in the 1870's. The building is an important landmark within Mourambine; and the building is a fine example of Victorian ecclesiastic parish architecture.

Physical Description

St Patrick's Church of England is a small Victorian Academic Gothic style church, constructed in 1873, to replace a previous attempt which collapsed before completion. The church stands in a landscaped setting on elevated ground. The Mourambine cemetery, set aside as a burial ground in 1873, is directly adjacent to the church. The building is approached via a stone arch and gates that were erected in 1949. The stone church building has six lancet windows and a high-pitched gable roof with stone gables. The roof, originally shingled, was replaced by CGI after the shingles deteriorated. The church building has an entrance porch to the nave. The roof lacks ornamentation other than the small cross at the altar end of the roof apex. The walls sit on a rendered base, and the walls and corners of the building, including the corners of the porch, are strengthened by simple stepped buttresses. There are three narrow lancets each side of the nave. The altar wall features three lancets which are glazed with stained and leaded glass. The windows along the knave have awning sashes. The stonework on the porch is pointed, the interior walls are rough rendered, and the entrance has a Tudor shaped door. The church interior is austere with the exception of the roof timbers. The roof is constructed of a series of cross beams. The floor is timber throughout and the walls are rendered. The Altar is slightly raised. A belfry without a bell, stands to the side of the Church. The roof of the church has been recovered, and the timber barge boards relaced with metal barge boards. The altar wall is braced with metal hooks to prevent separation and collapse.

History

Mr. William Atkins, a stone mason, was responsible for building the Church. It was consecrated by the Lord Bishop of Perth, Right Rev. Matthew Blagden Hale, on the 18th of May 1873. A portion of the church land was allotted for a cemetery in which many of the districts early settlers are buried. The first church on the site was destroyed by fire in 1842. At the time of consecration it came under the administration of the Beverly preacher. After the completion of the Great Southern Railway, a proposition was put forward to enlarge the church at Mourambine and appoint a resident clergyman in the town. As a result, in 1892, a new parish was formed - that of Mourambine under the care of the Rev. F. C. Gillett, previously of Southern Cross. A Rectory was built near the Church and from there Rev. Gillett presided over twelve churches, including Pingelly. The Rev. Gillett remained the resident minister for this earea until his death in 1904. He was never replaced. Mourambine then came under the control of the Pingelly Minister.

Integrity/Authenticity

High

Condition

Good

Other Reference Numbers

Ref Number Description
2258 Database No.
24530 Heritage Place No.

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Present Use RELIGIOUS Church, Cathedral or Chapel
Original Use RELIGIOUS Church, Cathedral or Chapel

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron
Wall STONE Other Stone

Historic Themes

General Specific
SOCIAL & CIVIC ACTIVITIES Cultural activities

Creation Date

05 Jul 2002

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

01 Jan 2017

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.