City of Fremantle

Place Number



13A Lefroy Rd South Fremantle

Location Details

Local Government




Construction Date

Constructed from 1904

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents
Heritage List YES 08 Mar 2007

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management
Municipal Inventory Adopted 18 Sep 2000 Level 3

Statement of Significance

House, 13a Lefroy Road, is a typical rendered masonry and iron single storey house dating from 1904. The place has aesthetic value for its contribution to the streetscape and the surrounding area. It is representative of the typical workers' houses in the South Fremantle area. The place is an example of the Federation Bungalow style of architecture.

Physical Description

Single storey rendered masonry and iron cottage with an asymmetrical facade constructed 1904. The walls are painted and rendered masonry. The roof hipped and gabled with no eaves and clad with corrugated iron. The half verandah is under a separate bullnose corrugated iron roof. The front facade is asymmetrical with a protruding front room with a timber window. Under the verandah is the front door and a timber framed window. There is a rendered brick fence to the front boundary and a small garden area behind. The garden and fence partially obscure views to the house.


Lefroy Road forms the northern boundary of the Lefroy Estate, which extended as far south at Lloyd Street. H Maxwell Lefroy was Comptroller (Superintendent) of the Fremantle Prison from 1859-1876. The portion of the street between South Terrace and Attfield Street was previously called Trinity Street (1908/09), then Sinclair St (1909/10). House, 13A Lefroy Road was built in 1903/04 for Annie and Thomas Williamson. Thomas was a carrier. The Williamsons continued to live in the house until c. 1935 and in 1937/38, the house was owned by Catherine Lowry and occupied by James Porteous. Irene Hicks owned and occupied the house in 1950/51. A diagram dated 1954 shows House, 13 Lefroy Road as a brick house with a projecting front room with a half-length front verandah. A small weatherboard building was located in the rear yard at this time. The house shared the same plan form as the adjacent residence at 15 Lefroy Road. Between the late 1950s and early 1970, House, 13A Lefroy Road was owned and occupied by Angelo and Levino D’Ercole. The house has had a number of owners since that time. The house number changed from 13 to 13A Lefroy Road c. 1988.


Medium degree of integrity (original intent partially clear, current use compatible, high long term sustainability). Medium degree of authenticity with some original fabric remaining. (These statements based on street survey only).


Condition assessed as good (assessed from streetscape survey only).

Place Type

Individual Building or Group


Epoch General Specific
Present Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence
Original Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence

Architectural Styles

Federation Bungalow

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall BRICK Rendered Brick
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron

Historic Themes

General Specific
DEMOGRAPHIC SETTLEMENT & MOBILITY Land allocation & subdivision

Creation Date

31 Aug 2006

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

14 Feb 2020


This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.