Waroona Hotel

Author

Shire of Waroona

Place Number

02687

Location

Fouracre St Waroona

Location Details

Local Government

Waroona

Region

Peel

Construction Date

Constructed from 1915

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Heritage Council Decisions or Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management
Category
Municipal Inventory Adopted 28 Nov 1995 Category 3
Statewide Hotel Survey Completed 01 Nov 1997

Statement of Significance

One of the few original public buildings remaining in the district located near the railway line where initial commercial development occured. Possibly the only known building of this architectural style in the townsite.

Physical Description

A two storey brick and asbestos building featuring gabled roof with decorative timber barge board, projecting bays (enclosed). Some modern additions and alterations have occurred which are not sympathetic to the original design.

History

This hotel was one of three hotels which were built in Waroona, but is the only one remaining today. In light of its style of architecture, it was possibly built around 1915-1920. It is also shown in a 1924 photograph of Fouracre Street. It was originally named the New Farmers' Arms Hotel, and originally owned by Brown and Hertz, and later Hugh McNeill. In 1939, renovations were carried out to the hotel. The first hotel built in Waroona was in the 1890s, and this was demolished in 1967.

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Original Use COMMERCIAL Hotel, Tavern or Inn
Present Use COMMERCIAL Hotel, Tavern or Inn

Architectural Styles

Style
Inter-War Old English

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall BRICK Face Brick
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron
Wall ASBESTOS Fibrous Cement, corrugated

Historic Themes

General Specific
OCCUPATIONS Commercial & service industries
SOCIAL & CIVIC ACTIVITIES Sport, recreation & entertainment

Creation Date

05 May 1989

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

01 Jan 2017

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.