Onslow Goods Shed Museum

Author

Shire of Ashburton

Place Number

04638

Location

52 Second Av Onslow

Location Details

Other Name(s)

Beadon Point Goods Shed
Onslow Goods Shed

Local Government

Ashburton

Region

Pilbara

Construction Date

Constructed from 1904, Constructed from 1925

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
RHP - To be assessed Current 12 Mar 2004

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management
Category
Municipal Inventory Adopted 17 Aug 1999 Category C
Statewide Lge Timber Str Survey Completed 11 Dec 1998
Classified by the National Trust Classified {HBS} 08 Jul 1996
Statewide Railway Heritage Surve Completed 01 Aug 1994

Statement of Significance

The Goods Shed has aesthetic, historic, social, scientific and rarity cultural heritage significance. The size, age of the building and the goods platform all contribute to the streetscape and are an important component of the overall townscape. The tramway and Goods Shed were essential to the supply and export of goods for the Ashburton district and were a lifeline for the community. The Goods Shed therefore, is an important relic of this way of life and demonstrates a way of life no longer practised. The Goods Shed is also one of the few buildings brought from Old Onslow that has survived the harsh climatic conditions of the North West, as cycones and floods have destroyed many of the structures from the pre 1925 period. Still providing an important function as a base to the local museum and Tourist Bureau, the Goods Shed is held in high esteem by the community. The building is a rare surviving example of the Goods Sheds, which were often the only buildings constructed in association with jetties of the North west.

Physical Description

Description taken from the National Trust of Australia (WA) report prepared in 1994. The Goods Shed, approximately 32m by 13m in size is a jarrah frame, corrugated iron clad building with the roof slope forming a ridge over the line of the central posts. On the western side are 3m by 4m steel framed doors. All cladding on the Goods Shed and adjacent office is painted white, whilst the guttering, downpipes, exterior door frames and office verandah posts are painted pale blue. In the interior the jarrah framework is not painted, the ageing of the old original corrugated iron is obvious and the large timber doors which give the tramway access to the platform inside the shed exhibit remnants of old pale green paintwork. The shed is in very good condition and is used by the Tourist Bureau. The original section of the office is lined with tongue and groove timber, whilst the 1953 section of the office is lined with asbestos. A timber deck verandah is located on the eastern side. To the south of the building is a concrete platform used for the loading of good for the tramway or the unloading of goods which had been delivered by tram from the jetty. On this platform is a display of railway rolling stock including the 1928 petrol locomotive, which was part of the Onslow tramway system. The former wool platform, which is constructed from earth and formed concrete, is deteriorating. The area to the north east of the Goods Shed is the rail yard. Located here are other items of rolling stock, including 'H' wagons nd a crane. Several of the Old Onslow two foot gauge wagons are also found here. (The tramway in 'new' Onslow was three foot six inched wide).

History

In 1904 the Goods Shed in OLd Onslow burnt down. The replacement structure was built in the main part of the old town site and was connected to the sea jetty by tramway. The new shed was described as a jarrah framed concrete structure with concrete piles, it also included a Bond Store. A separate office was added to the end of the building, along with a look out tower, in 1910. In 1925 when the new town site was developed at Beadon Point, the Goods Shed was transported by camel the the new settlement. When reconstructed at Beadon Point the Goods Shed was extended. It was serviced by a new tramway but no longer functioned as a Bond Store. Further extensions to the building occurred in 1953 when the office size was doubled. Cyclone damage during hte 1960's led to a number of changes. The roof of the Good Shed was completely remodelled and the west side rebuilt and reclad, albeit with old corrugated iron. New sliding doors built from zinczlume were installed.The shed was used to store goods brought to the port by the State Ships. They were transported from the jetty along Second Avenue to the Goods Shed. Today the Goods Shed is vested in the Shire of Ashburton and operates as a museum, Arts and Crafts shop and is the headquarters for the Onslow Tourist Bureau.

Integrity/Authenticity

Fair Degree

Condition

Good

References

Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
National Trust of Australia (WA);" Assessment Report". 1994
A & M Webb;"Edge of Empire". Artlook Books 1983

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Original Use Transport\Communications Rail: Other
Present Use EDUCATIONAL Museum

Architectural Styles

Style
Vernacular

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron
Wall METAL Corrugated Iron

Historic Themes

General Specific
TRANSPORT & COMMUNICATIONS Rail & light rail transport
SOCIAL & CIVIC ACTIVITIES Education & science

Creation Date

19 Jul 1996

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

01 Jan 2017

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.