inHerit Logo

Radio Communication Centre


City of Kwinana

Place Number

There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.


Wellard Rd Leda

Location Details

Located South side of Wellard road, adjacent to Gentle Rd

Local Government




Construction Date

Constructed from 1945, Constructed from 1939

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
(no listings)

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory Adopted 13 May 1998 C


Retain and conserve if possible, places of some cultural heritage significance to the Town of Kwinana.

Local Heritage Survey Adopted 01 Feb 2022 B


High level of protection for places of considerable cultural heritage significance to the Town of Kwinana..

Statement of Significance

Aesthetic Value: The concrete structures have visual interest due to their distinct vaulted form, and as free-standing elements located in otherwise uncleared bushland, have a high degree of visibility when viewed from Wellard Road.

Historic Value: The place is associated with Australia’s coastal defence system
erected in response to external threats during World War II.

Social value: the former communication huts have value for the former members of the RAAF 228 Radar Station who served there during World War two.

Research value: the place has potential archaeological value to reveal evidence of military occupation during the second World War.

Representativeness: The huts and communications tower are typical of the structures built to military design and specification across Australia.

Level of significance: Considerable

Physical Description

Located on the south side of Wellard Road, on an elevated spot known as Parrot Bush Hill, are three concrete bunker structures and remnants of radar towers and a collection of other remnants that formed the former Radio Communication Centre.
The bunkers are almost identical and are characterised by their semi-circular vaulted form. The structures are approximately 4.2 metres wide and 5.1 metres long with each having a single narrow doorway at one end, and a centrally placed window at the other. A tower is located at the rear of each of the bunkers.
Internally, some timber framing to openings is still intact, suggesting the window had fixed louvres (no longer intact). The walls and vaulted walls/ceiling have a distinct striped appearance as a result of the timber formwork used to create them insitu. The interior floor is also concrete, and contains a narrow rectangular pit, currently filled with litter, which would have housed the generator and engine.
A rusted radar tower remains extant close to the third bunker with footings of a second tower also remaining extant.
The buildings are generally in good condition but have been subject to vandalism and graffiti. A commemorative plaque has been placed at the site (over the doorway to the easternmost hut) by RAAF Radar Veterans, RAAFA Aviation Museum and the Town of Kwinana.
In 2021, the huts are vacant, but in generally fair condition, although heavily graffitied.


The Cockburn Sound area played an important role in Australia’s coastal defence system, comprising an almost land-locked Sound protected by the placement of coastal gun batteries on Garden Island, Rottnest Island and the mainland.
The RAAF 228 Radar Station was formed at Subiaco on 24 May 1943 and transferred to East Rockingham on 20 August 1943. It went to reduced operations (one watch) on 2 May 1944 and operations ceased on 2 February 1945. The unit then went into care and maintenance. It officially closed on 17 September 1945 and was disbanded on 10 May 1945.
Staff at the station comprised both RAAF and WAAAF but was predominantly female as the employment of WAAAFs (Women’s Auxiliary Australian Air Force) released male personnel for overseas service. During the operating period the station was under the command of Plt Officers A.W. Read; P.L. Beetson; A.W. Read; A.T. Carmody; and H.A. Strickland.
The Light Weight Air Warning Radar operated at 42.05 MHz and was located at 32° 15’ 2”S 115° 47’ 30”E at an elevation of 100 feet.
The two structures were believed to have been constructed during World War II and have been identified as Radar Detection Huts, operated by personnel who were stationed at the nearby campsite on Gentle Road (no longer extant). It is unclear what other facilities were located at the site for the operation of the station. Similar radar units were located at Cannington and Yanchep.
Aerial photographs of the site since the mid 20th century indicate there has been little change to the structures or the surrounding bushland.


Integrity: Moderate
Authenticity: High




Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
L Russell; "Kwinana “Third Time Lucky”, 1979

Place Type

Individual Building or Group


Epoch General Specific
Original Use MILITARY Other
Present Use VACANT\UNUSED Vacant\Unused

Historic Themes

General Specific
OUTSIDE INFLUENCES World Wars & other wars

Creation Date

10 Sep 1998

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

09 Feb 2023


This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.