inHerit Logo

Roman Catholic Church Group, Toodyay

Author

Heritage Council

Place Number

04125
There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.

Location

32-34 Stirling Tce Toodyay

Location Details

Comprises St Aloysius Convent of Mercy (fmr), St Aloysius Convent of Mercy Classrooms and Boys Boarding House, St Aloysius Convent of Mercy Classrooms and Girls Boarding House, Dr Growse’s House (fmr), The Old Presbytery and St John the Baptist Church (1963). Now used by Franscian Monks. Also to include The Committee resolved that the recommended curtilage include all of Lots 44, 45 and 46.

Other Name(s)

Avondown
Franciscan Monastery
Sisters of Mercy Convent School
St Aloysius Convent

Local Government

Toodyay

Region

Avon Arc

Construction Date

Constructed from 1884, Constructed from 1860

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
State Register Interim 07 Dec 2018 Register Entry
Assessment Documentation

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Catholic Church Inventory Adopted 01 Jul 1998

Classified by the National Trust Recorded 07 Jun 1977

Classified by the National Trust Classified 08 Jun 2015

Municipal Inventory Adopted 27 Aug 1998 Category 2

Category 2

A place of considerable cultural heritage significance; provide an appropriate level of recognition and protection. Recommend that maximum encouragement is provided to the owner to conserve the significance of the place. Nomination to the National Trust Classified List is recommended, to afford protection by means of moral persuasion. (TPS also relevant).

Shire of Toodyay

Condition

Good

Associations

Name Type Year From Year To
Summerhayes & Associates (new St John the Baptist Church) Architect 1963 -
Edgar Le B Henderson (O'Connor House) Architect 1928 -
J.D. Saunders (St Aloysius Building) Architect 1921 -
Henderson & Jefferis (Mercy House) - Edgar Jerome Henderson Architect 1903 -
Ron Hawkins (renovations throughout esp 'The Ship') Architect 1986 1987

State Heritage Office library entries

Library Id Title Medium Year Of Publication
9190 Avondown Centre, Toodyay. Heritage Study {Cons'n Plan} 2003

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Original Use RELIGIOUS Housing or Quarters
Original Use EDUCATIONAL Combined School
Present Use RELIGIOUS Church, Cathedral or Chapel
Original Use RELIGIOUS Church, Cathedral or Chapel
Present Use VACANT\UNUSED Vacant\Unused

Architectural Styles

Style
Victorian Georgian
Federation Arts and Crafts
Federation Queen Anne
Inter-War Georgian Revival

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron
Roof TILE Ceramic Tile
Wall BRICK Common Brick

Historic Themes

General Specific
SOCIAL & CIVIC ACTIVITIES Religion
SOCIAL & CIVIC ACTIVITIES Education & science
OCCUPATIONS Domestic activities

Creation Date

03 Aug 1995

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

01 Jan 2017

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.