inHerit Logo

Roman Catholic Church Group, Toodyay

Author

Shire of Toodyay

Place Number

04125
There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.

Location

32-34 Stirling Tce Toodyay

Location Details

Comprises St Aloysius Convent of Mercy (fmr), St Aloysius Convent of Mercy Classrooms and Boys Boarding House, St Aloysius Convent of Mercy Classrooms and Girls Boarding House, Dr Growse’s House (fmr), The Old Presbytery and St John the Baptist Church (1963). Now used by Franscian Monks. Also to include The Committee resolved that the recommended curtilage include all of Lots 44, 45 and 46.

Other Name(s)

Avondown
Franciscan Monastery
Sisters of Mercy Convent School
St Aloysius Convent

Local Government

Toodyay

Region

Avon Arc

Construction Date

Constructed from 1910, Constructed from 1863

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Catholic Church Inventory Adopted 01 Jul 1998

Heritage Council
Classified by the National Trust Recorded 07 Jun 1977

Heritage Council
Classified by the National Trust Classified 08 Jun 2015

Heritage Council
Municipal Inventory Adopted 27 Aug 1998 Category 2

Category 2

A place of considerable cultural heritage significance; provide an appropriate level of recognition and protection. Recommend that maximum encouragement is provided to the owner to conserve the significance of the place. Nomination to the National Trust Classified List is recommended, to afford protection by means of moral persuasion. (TPS also relevant).

RHP - Assessed-Stakeholder Consultation Current 27 Jul 2012

Heritage Council

Statement of Significance

The Roman Catholic Church Group has historic value as it demonstrates the contribution of the church to the care and welfare of the Toodyay and wider community. It has significant associations with clergymen and people of the catholic faith between 1863 and 1963.
The precinct has aesthetic value as the group of buildings demonstrate a range of building styles and materials that together make a positive contribution specifically to the Stirling Terrace streetscape and to the townscape in general.

Physical Description

Comprises of St Aloysius Convent of Mercy (fmr), St Aloysius Convent of Mercy Classrooms and Boys Boarding House, St Aloysius Convent of Mercy Classrooms and Girls Boarding House, Dr. Growse's House (fmr), The Old Presbytery and St John the Baptist Church.

History

Several buildings make up this Catholic Precinct built as classrooms and accommodation for the Sisters of Mercy and girl and boy boarders. The first building was erected in 1903 with further buildings added between 1905 and 1929. The sisters were assisted by substantial endowments from Daniel Connor and the Connor family. On 11 October 1987, the Avondown Centre for Catholic Education was blessed by the Archbishop of Perth. Although the Sisters of Mercy have now left Toodyay, there are brothers of the Franciscan order in residence at Avondown. See individual building listings for more information.

Integrity/Authenticity

Integrity: Medium
Authenticity: High

Condition

Good

State Heritage Office library entries

Library Id Title Medium Year Of Publication
9190 Avondown Centre, Toodyay. Heritage Study {Cons'n Plan} 2003

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Original Use RELIGIOUS Housing or Quarters
Original Use EDUCATIONAL Combined School
Present Use RELIGIOUS Church, Cathedral or Chapel
Original Use RELIGIOUS Church, Cathedral or Chapel
Present Use VACANT\UNUSED Vacant\Unused

Architectural Styles

Style
Victorian Georgian
Federation Arts and Crafts
Federation Queen Anne
Inter-War Georgian Revival

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron
Roof TILE Ceramic Tile
Wall BRICK Common Brick

Historic Themes

General Specific
SOCIAL & CIVIC ACTIVITIES Religion
SOCIAL & CIVIC ACTIVITIES Education & science
OCCUPATIONS Domestic activities

Creation Date

03 Aug 1995

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

01 Jan 2017

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.