inHerit Logo

Condon Creek Townsite

Author

Shire of Port Hedland

Place Number

04552
There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.

Location

15 km East of mouth of De Grey River Condon Creek

Location Details

Other Name(s)

Shellborough

Local Government

Port Hedland

Region

Pilbara

Construction Date

Constructed from 1889

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory Adopted 28 Nov 2007 Category 4

Category 4

A site without built features, but of some cultural heritage significance to Town of Port Hedland. Implications: No constraints. Recommend: Interpret the place.

Port-related Structures Survey Completed 31 Oct 1995

Heritage Council

Statement of Significance

Condon townsite is significant as the first port in the Pilbara and a pivotal town and port in the pastoral and early mining development of the region.

Physical Description

On the North Western side of the creek, the jetty ruins consists of some timber piles and an assemblage of stones. The remains of the bond store consist of the concrete pillar foundations, and a stone and a below ground concrete water tank. The tank is mainly below ground level.

History

Officially called Condon, or Condong, but gazetted as Shellborough, Condon was the first port to be settled in the Pilbara, located between the port of Cossack, 260 kilometres away, and the DeGrey River.
Condon was established as a port to service the growing number of pastoral stations developed along the DeGrey, including Warrawagine, Warralong, Coongan, Muccan, Yarrie, Ettrick and Mulyie Stations.
Condon comprised a townsite of one square mile that was partly surveyed in 1872. Initially providing a port for the transport of wool to London, with the discovery of gold at Marble Bar and Nullagine in the 1880s, the port was also used for the delivery of machinery and stores, which were then, carted inland by bullock teams.
By June 1887 the telegraph line from Roebourne to Condon was completed, and a site chosen for the telegraph station. In 1893 Condon was re-surveyed, and Condon became an important link in the Perth- Wyndham telegraph line.
During the 1880s Condon was largely built of galvanised iron and wood, and in its heyday in 1898-1899, had a population of 200 people and buildings including two hotels, several stores, a post office providing Morse code for communication, wheelwrights and blacksmiths, and a carpenter.
By 1900-1901 Condon’s population had decreased to 50, and in 1905 only 12 people remained, with one hotel and a store. With the development of Port Hedland as the port of the Pilbara, the majority of Condon’s population moved, taking their houses and all belongings.
In 1919, two families remained in Condon, the Wallace’s, of who Alexander Wallace McGregor was the postmaster at Condon between 1917 and 1919, and the linesman who checked the telegraph lines from south, west and east.

Condition

Remnants

References

Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
J Hardie; "Nor’ Westers of the Pilbara breed: The story of brave ancestors who pioneered the outback Pilbara of Western Australia". The Shire of Port Hedland, 1981

Place Type

Historic Site

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Original Use Transport\Communications Water: Dock\Wharf Bldg or Structure
Present Use Transport\Communications Water: Dock\Wharf Bldg or Structure

Architectural Styles

Style
Unused

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Other STONE Local Stone

Historic Themes

General Specific
DEMOGRAPHIC SETTLEMENT & MOBILITY Land allocation & subdivision
DEMOGRAPHIC SETTLEMENT & MOBILITY Settlements

Creation Date

30 Nov 1995

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

01 Jan 2017

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.