inHerit Logo

Urwin's Store (fmr)

Author

Shire of Toodyay

Place Number

02582
There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.

Location

123 Stirling Tce Toodyay

Location Details

GPS: 0449200 6509142 ALSO PART OF 12139

Other Name(s)

Caddy 7 Wilshire's Draperty store
Toodyay Bakery & Tearooms, Unwin's Store

Local Government

Toodyay

Region

Avon Arc

Construction Date

Constructed from 1898

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Classified by the National Trust Classified 07 Jun 1977

Heritage Council
Register of the National Estate Permanent 21 Oct 1980

Heritage Council
Municipal Inventory Adopted 27 Aug 1998 Category 2

Category 2

A place of considerable cultural heritage significance; provide an appropriate level of recognition and protection. Recommend that maximum encouragement is provided to the owner to conserve the significance of the place. Nomination to the National Trust Classified List is recommended, to afford protection by means of moral persuasion. (TPS also relevant).

Statement of Significance

The place has historic value for its associations with the Buffaloes, Unwins and the businesses which have operated from the place since the turn of the century. The double storey building has aesthetic value for its contribution to the main streetscape of Toodyay and the detail of its original design.

Physical Description

Double storey building with parapet decorated with scrolls and finials. Brick and rendered facade with hipped iron roof. The upper storey now has a balcony extending over the lower verandah, enclosed with removable screens which obscure the upper section of the facade. The lower storey is still used as a shop and has retained much of its original character and features.

History

The store was originally Unwins Drapery Store. The Toodyay Masonic Lodge rented the upstairs rooms before moving to its current premises in 1924. Other Lodges also used these rooms. The Buffaloes held meetings here until the 1950's.

Integrity/Authenticity

Integrity: High
Authenticity: Low/ Medium

Condition

Fair-Good

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Present Use COMMERCIAL Shop\Retail Store {single}
Original Use COMMERCIAL Shop\Retail Store {single}

Architectural Styles

Style
Victorian Academic Classical

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall BRICK Common Brick
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron

Historic Themes

General Specific
OCCUPATIONS Commercial & service industries

Creation Date

30 May 1989

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

31 Dec 2016

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.