inHerit Logo

Boodarrie Station Homestead

Author

Shire of Port Hedland

Place Number

04002
There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.

Location

15 km SW of Pt Hedland, 10 km W of Gt N Hwy Port Hedland

Location Details

Other Name(s)

Boodarie
Boodary

Local Government

Port Hedland

Region

Pilbara

Construction Date

Constructed from 1910, Constructed from 1880

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory Adopted 31 Dec 1996 Category 2

Category 2

A place of considerable cultural heritage significance to Town of Port Hedland that is worthy of recognition and protection through provisions of the Town of Port Hedland’s Town Planning Scheme. Implications: Planning application needs to be submitted to

Register of the National Estate Nominated 02 Mar 1984

Heritage Council
Classified by the National Trust Classified 05 Dec 1983

Heritage Council
Register of the National Estate Indicative Place

Heritage Council

Statement of Significance

Boodarie Station is significant for the associations with the early pastoral development and shipping of the wool directly by sea in the Pilbara, the Hardie family, and 1892 telegraph office.

Physical Description

Homestead group of single storey buildings. Adjacent stone homesteads with
expansive hipped roof at break pitch over surrounding verandahs.

Pastoral

History

Two landings, one natural and one man made, exist on the station, initially, 1880, used to load wool onto ships at Boodarie landing. The telegraph line from Roebourne to Derby was opened at Boodarie Station in 1892 and operated until 1897, it was moved to the Causeway.
Fred Arunder and Charlie Upton took up the Boodarie lease c.1880. A Homestead was known to exit in 1880, but a more substantial dwelling was constructed in c.1910. The Hardie family have been associated with the place since 1901. Following the 1903 subdivision of the property, Boodarie Station was reduced from 242,800 hectares to 74,000 hectares. Other stations were formed on the subdivided land:
Pippingarra, Indee and Wallareenya. The station is a cattle station with livestock sent to Malaysia and Indonesia. Currently leased out by the owners, BHP.

Integrity/Authenticity

Integrity: Moderate to high degree
Authenticity: High degree

Changes to place: Numerous, to facilitate ongoing use, and changes: sheep to cattle.

Condition

Good

References

Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
A Bloeman & T Parker; "Hedland Voices: a visual and oral record celebrating the first hundred years of the Town of Port Hedland 1896-1996". Town of Port Hedland/Port Hedland Historical Society 1997

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Present Use OTHER Other
Original Use FARMING\PASTORAL Homestead
Original Use FARMING\PASTORAL Blacksmith's Shop

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall STONE Sandstone, other

Historic Themes

General Specific
OCCUPATIONS Grazing, pastoralism & dairying

Creation Date

31 Jul 1995

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

01 Jan 2017

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.