inHerit Logo

McDonald Smith Building

Author

City of Fremantle

Place Number

00858
There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.

Location

22-32 Cliff St Fremantle

Location Details

Local Government

Fremantle

Region

Metropolitan

Construction Date

Constructed from 1898

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
Heritage List YES 08 Mar 2007

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Classified by the National Trust Classified 01 Aug 1983

Heritage Council
Register of the National Estate Registered

Heritage Council
Municipal Inventory Adopted 18 Sep 2000 Level 1B

Level 1B

The City of Fremantle has identified this place as being of exceptional cultural heritage significance in its own right within the context of Fremantle and its conservation is required. It is recommended that this place be considered for entry in the Heritage Council of Western Australia's Register of Heritage Places.

Statement of Significance

McDonald Smith Building is of historic significance as an example of a commercial building in the Old Port City of Fremantle dating from the gold boom period in the late nineteenth and early twentieth century. The place is significant because, when viewed from the street, it is a substantially intact example of a commercial building which contributes to the very significant Old Port City of Fremantle. The place is of social significance as evidenced by its classification by the National Trust.

Physical Description

McDonald Smith Building is a two storey rendered building with a zero setback from the pavement. The building has a parapet with spheres crowning small-engaged pilasters and simply decorative pediments. The ground floor façade has arched doors and windows, with stucco above and a single level entrance on the south side; the first floor has sash windows. There is an old corrugated iron shed to the rear of the building.

History

Cliff St in the 1850s was a busy thoroughfare connecting the sea front jetty with the river. Many businesses were located along the route. The street was paved in 1858 with hand-tolled Yorkshire flagstones by sappers of the Royal Engineers. The job was completed by private contract after the sappers were needed elsewhere. Apparently, convicts were not skilled enough for the job. To meet the expense, dog licences, poundage fees and fines were raised by the Town Trust.
A cottage and warehouse were established on the lot from the 1870s. There are relics of a former limewashed and shingled house at the rear of this building. There were building applications for minor changes to the warehouse in 1961, 1962 and 1973.
Currently (2013), various businesses.

Condition

Fair.

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Other Use OTHER Other
Original Use COMMERCIAL Office or Administration Bldg
Original Use COMMERCIAL Warehouse
Present Use COMMERCIAL Office or Administration Bldg

Architectural Styles

Style
Federation Free Classical
Victorian Free Classical

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall BRICK Rendered Brick
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron
Wall STONE Limestone

Historic Themes

General Specific
OCCUPATIONS Commercial & service industries
DEMOGRAPHIC SETTLEMENT & MOBILITY Depression & boom

Creation Date

30 May 1989

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

01 Jan 2017

Disclaimer

This data is provided by the City of Fremantle. While every care is taken to ensure the accuracy of this data, the City of Fremantle makes no representations or warranties about its accuracy, reliability, completeness or suitability for any particular purpose and disclaims all responsibility and all liability (including without limitation, liability in negligence) for all expenses, losses, damages (including indirect or consequential damage) and costs which you might incur as a result of the data being inaccurate or incomplete in any way and for any reason. Under no circumstances should this data be used to carry out any work without first contacting the City of Fremantle for the appropriate confirmation and approval.