inHerit Logo

House- 130 Forrest St


Shire of Peppermint Grove

Place Number

There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.


130 Forrest St Peppermint Grove

Location Details

Local Government

Peppermint Grove



Construction Date

Constructed from 1900

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
Heritage List Adopted 24 Jul 2018

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory Adopted 19 Jul 1999

Statement of Significance

This single storey limestone, timber and corrugated zinc
roofed residence with its open, secure setting is culturally
significant because:
the place is representative of the style and standard of
the better classes of bungalows in the district;
the place has associations with Captain Frank Pitts and
Mrs Alison Saw for some seven decades;
the place forms part of a cultural heritage group and
part of a townscape precinct.

The house is a Federation Queen Anne style bungalow which
now fOnTISan annexe to a large addition to the rear. The
front part of the original house remains intact, with little
adaptation. The place is within a precinct of other places of
comparable, style, period and standard.

The place retains the Federation Queen Anne style of the
original bungalow and provides continuity of the precinct.

The place is part of a precinct reflecting the social and
economic development of the suburb and, therefore, has some
social significance.

Part of a cultural group
Located within a townscape area

The place is an attractive example of the Federation Queen
Anne style given coherence by the strong symmetry of the
handsome wrap around verandah.

Physical Description

Symmetrical design
Tennis court fencing to the street


The house was one of a group of places built by merchants
and prominent citizens in the late nineteenth/early twentieth
century. Later the place was owned and occupied by Walter
and Alison Saw, between 1930 & 1970. The place has some
historical significance.


Modifications: Extensive additions visually overshadow original house


Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
Pascoe R; "WesternAustralia's Capital Suburb".
Evans Sisters, Place recordfiles

Place Type

Individual Building or Group


Epoch General Specific
Original Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence
Present Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence

Architectural Styles

Federation Queen Anne

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall STONE Limestone
Roof METAL Zincalume

Historic Themes

General Specific
DEMOGRAPHIC SETTLEMENT & MOBILITY Land allocation & subdivision

Creation Date

04 May 2002

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

18 Feb 2021


This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.