inHerit Logo

House, 284 High Street


City of Fremantle

Place Number

There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.


284 High St Fremantle

Location Details

Local Government




Construction Date

Constructed from 1926, Constructed from 1927

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
(no listings)

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
RHP - Does not warrant assessment Current 25 Sep 2015

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
(no listings)

Statement of Significance

House, 284 High Street, is a single storey timber and iron house dating from 1926. The place has aesthetic value for its contribution to the streetscape and the surrounding area. It is representative of the typical building stock located within the residential areas of Fremantle. It is historically significant as a representation of typical workers' houses in the Fremantle area. The place is an example of the Federation Bungalow style of architecture.

Physical Description

House, 284 High Street is a single storey timber and iron house constructed as a simple variation of the Federation Bungalow style of Architecture. The walls are timber framed and clad with painted timber boards. The roof is hipped and gabled and clad with corrugated iron. The verandah is supported by timber posts and has lacework decoration. The symmetrical front façade has a central door flanked by timber framed windows. Prolific vegetation and a high timber picket fence prevents further description of the front elevation.


As was customary in English towns, the main street of the town was named High St.
In 1916/17, Sir Henry Briggs owned the vacant land on which house 284 High Street now stands. Briggs (b.1844 d.1919) was born in Kettering, Northamptonshire England and was the first headmaster of Fremantle Grammar School from 1882 – 1897. He was also secretary of the Fremantle Chamber of Commerce, a J P, a trustee of the Western Australian Public Library and Art Gallery and from 1906 – 1909 President of the Legislative Council. He was knighted in 1916.
By 1921/22 the still vacant land was owned by the War Services Homes. In 1926/27 a house had been built and was owned/occupied by Thomas Richard McIlwaine. McIlwaine was still the owner/occupier in 1947.
The house was originally number 566 and is Lot 1071.


High degree of integrity (original intent clear, current use compatible, high long term sustainability).
Medium degree of authenticity with some original fabric remaining.
(These statements based on street survey only).


Condition assessed as fair to good (assessed from streetscape survey only).

Place Type

Individual Building or Group


Epoch General Specific
Present Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence
Original Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence

Architectural Styles

Federation Bungalow

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall TIMBER Weatherboard
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron

Historic Themes

General Specific

Creation Date

09 Aug 2010

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

26 Feb 2020


This data is provided by the City of Fremantle. While every care is taken to ensure the accuracy of this data, the City of Fremantle makes no representations or warranties about its accuracy, reliability, completeness or suitability for any particular purpose and disclaims all responsibility and all liability (including without limitation, liability in negligence) for all expenses, losses, damages (including indirect or consequential damage) and costs which you might incur as a result of the data being inaccurate or incomplete in any way and for any reason. Under no circumstances should this data be used to carry out any work without first contacting the City of Fremantle for the appropriate confirmation and approval.