inHerit Logo

FMR Court House

Author

Shire of Yalgoo

Place Number

24431
There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.

Location

Gibbons St Yalgoo

Location Details

Local Government

Yalgoo

Region

Midwest

Construction Date

Constructed from 1921, Constructed from 1904

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory Adopted 19 Jun 1996 Category 1

Category 1

Highest level of protection appropriate: recommend for entry in the Register of Heritage Places; provide maximum encouragement to the owner to conserve the significance of the place.

Statement of Significance

The former Courthouse has high historic significance given its role in the maintenance of law and order in the town The building is a prominent feature of the townscape, with its green roof corresponding with the adjacent Police Station and Quarters and Gaol, which combine to form a precinct. All three buildings should be retained in order to assist with the interpretation of each.

Physical Description

The former Courthouse is a timber framed building which is clad in corrugated iron. It has verandahs to all sides and timber framed windows with bars. The corrugated iron dutch gable roof, which has been painted green, has three air vents and vents in gablets. It is a dominant feature of the building and extends to cover the verandahs which are supported on slender timber posts. There is a double entry door to the eastern elevation.

History

The former Courthouse building was originally located at Day Dawn cl904. Built by Little and Mclnnes for 357 pounds, (Government Gazette, 1/7/1904, pi 803), the Day Dawn Chronicle reported:
"When completed the structure will contain a commodious room, with all incidental fittings, while at the rear of the bench a retiring room for the magistrates will also be provided." (10/8/1904, p2) The courthouse building was relocated to Yalgoo in 1921. The successful tenderer for this work was H. Haynes for 242/5/8 pounds. (Government Gazette, 19/8/1921, pi465) In 1972 the former courthouse building was vested in the Yalgoo Shire Council and the following year it opened as the Yalgoo Museum. (A. Palmer, p36)

Condition

Good

References

Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
"Day Dawn Chronicle". p.2 10/8/1904
Heritage Council of WA Database File
"Government Gazettes". pi.803 1/7/1904
A Palmer; "Yalgoo". p.36
"Government Gazettes". pi. 465 19/8/1921,
Yalgoo Museum Photograph Collection

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Original Use GOVERNMENTAL Courthouse
Present Use EDUCATIONAL Museum

Architectural Styles

Style
Vernacular

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron
Wall METAL Corrugated Iron

Historic Themes

General Specific
OCCUPATIONS Mining {incl. mineral processing}

Creation Date

27 Jun 2012

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

01 Jan 2017

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.