23 Phoenix Rd Spearwood
Constructed in 1927
|Municipal Inventory||Adopted||15 Apr 1997||Category B||
Nick Marich House is associated with prominent resident Nick Marich.
Nick Marich House is a fine representative example of the Californian Bungalow style of architecture.
Now in a suburban setting, Nick Marich house is located on the corner of Phoenix and Sussex Roads in Spearwood. It is an expression of the Californian Bungalow style. In excellent condition, the house is founded on a limestone plinth and has a terracotta tiled roof with finials. There are two timbered gables (one smaller than the other) on the facade. The walls of the house are a combination of red face brick and rendered brick. The house has an entry porch verandah and gallows bracket window shading on the front elevation. The verandah roof is supported by solid limestone and masonry pillars.
The limestone wine cellar, which was an important aspect of the Marich property, was demolished in the early 1980s for housing.
Nicholas (Nikola) Marich came to Western Australia from Yugoslavia in 1909 and became well known throughout the Cockburn and Fremantle districts for his achievements. He used to supply wine to migrants in five gallon kegs and to many other folks in the district for the 'large sum' of one shilling a bottle. He advertised the wine at a 'Bob a Bottle'.
Mr Marich grew vegetables and table grapes. For the latter he won four gold medals for their export and table quality. Mr Marich was also commended for his contribution to the Spearwood RSL where he was treasurer for over 40 consecutive years. He saw active service and it was through the Soldier Settlement Scheme that he settled in Spearwood. He was interested in many district activities and was appointed the Yugoslav Consul in Western Australia, welcoming and encouraging Yugoslav migrants. Mr Marich was the first Yugoslav Consul in Australia, a position he held from 1930-44.
INTEGRITY: Cellar demolished in 1980 for duplex housing
|Name||Type||Year From||Year To|
|Nicholas (Nikola) Marich||Previous Owner||1927||-|
|Ref ID No||Ref Name||Ref Source||Ref Date|
|"Daily News".||24 December 1959|
|"The Listening Post".||August 1962|
Individual Building or Group
|Original Use||RESIDENTIAL||Single storey residence|
|Present Use||RESIDENTIAL||Single storey residence|
|PEOPLE||Local heroes & battlers|
This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.